Are Sub-woofers really for music?

My system consists of an Audio Note Oto SE 10w and B&W CDM 1NT spealers. As i'vee posted in other threads my only nag is lack of low end. My speakers spec out out 60hz. The salesperson where i bought my speakers suggested I would NOT like a sub. and was not a good idea, Other than to impress my lower primate buddys. I listened to a pair of B&W 703s at the same store. While there was more bass present they lacked the mid details of my CDMs. The salesman said in order to get better lows and maintain my current sound Id have to step up quite a ways. I like this guy never did he try to "sell" me something he didnt think Id like.I also additioned a set of Audio Note AN-K/SP. These were nice but did not sound much better than the B&Ws in terms of the lows. In fact they may even have been a bit slower. I also suspect the efficiency rating was a bit optimistic.
So back to my initial question. Are there any "Music" subs? Can 1 sub actually do the job of two better speakers? If i turn the crossover down to "non-directional" low frequencys would this be too low below my 60hz rating and creat a hole? If I turned it up to crossover where my speakers drop off would it then be directional?
Speaker suggestions would be appriciated. Noting that I'm not going to replace my Oto. Im looking for the same sound I have now with a little more low end response. Maybe some ProAc's????
128x128flickkit
Hello Flickkit,

I suggest you try one or two Rel ST subs. I have two Strata IIIs and I could not be happier. There are many threads in the forum archives that explain what the advantages are with Rel subs. But, as with any piece of equipment, some will love them and others prefer a different brand of sub or not having a sub at all. You mentioned that you want a sub for music and I think you will find that the consensus is the Rel subs are some of the very best when it comes to integration with main speakers for music.......John
Differs from person to person, and system to system, but unless you are willing to step up to the plate big time for a good sub, cross over, and extra amp, my opinion is that you are almost always better off with a better set of speakers, than with adding a sub.

The theory behind adding a sub is good, but in practical terms they are difficult to get sounding "just right" without having to monkey with them all the time. They can be difficult to integrate, and often leave you with a sonic hump or pothole right around the crossover frequency.

Make absolutely sure to try before you buy if possible. Rel, Talon, and Aerial (just to name a few) all make good subwoofers, but you would be wise to look into a Vandersteen 2W or 2Wq to begin with. They are great bang for the buck, and are relatively easy to obtain and resell. You might only lose the cost of shipping for that experiment, and it might be worth a try just to satisfy your curiosity.
I'll bet you would love ProAc Response 3 or others in the "3" series (like 3.8). A really good low end but, granted, without the subterranean prowess of a great sub.
I'd get a small sub with no bigger then a 10in woofer, and preferably an 8in. Your speakers start to roll off around 100hz and thats really when your sub should start to kick in, not at 60hz, in order to get a nice flat responce. You also don't want a lot of power behind it either or it will quickly overwhelm the rest of the system. B&W's ASW300 might be a logical choice with its 8in driver and modest amplification.
Flickkit:

If you get a moment, the following website has two free journals you can download and print at your leisure. There is an article in one of the two journals regarding the benefits of adding a subwoofer(s) to an audio system(not home theater system). Take a look at it. It will definitely answer your question and then some.

http://www.audioperfectionist.com/pages/freejournals.html

Good luck!

Dan S.