Speakers: What's MOST important to you?...

When you demo a pair of speakers, what criteria do you use to judge the quality of sound? What must the speaker have or do that will bring out the check book or credit card?
128x128dawgbyte
Other than the attributes listed above, I think overall balance is critical. Nothing glaring or exaggerated. I want the presentation to float unrestricted, like the opening of a window and the removal of walls in the room.
1) you forget about the stereo and listen to the music

2) the midrange quality because 90% of the music is there

3) it fits the music you like and the room

these are in no particular order

BTW you may want a speaker that is easy to drive as you will save lots of money on amplifier
Non-fatiguing sound=True time/phase design,low difraction enclosure=transparency...I can give up top-end "sparkle" and deep bass for a very cohesive,musical,and involving midrange...where 90% of music is produced....
The ultimate critieria for me is that the sound draws me into the music and makes me forget that I are listening to a pair of boxes with speakers and wires in them. When this happens, I know I've found speakers worth owning. Just my $.02 worth. ;)
For me, it's dynamics, "that old midrange magic", dynamics, smooth treble, dynamics, a bass that breathes (rather than "tight" bass), dynamics, coherence and dynamics. A speaker without proper dynamics just can't get my blood flowing, no matter how well it does everything else.