Speakers: What's MOST important to you?...

When you demo a pair of speakers, what criteria do you use to judge the quality of sound? What must the speaker have or do that will bring out the check book or credit card?
128x128dawgbyte
Image, Pleasure, Presence(or presentation), Accuracy, Ability to create listening room.
Must be Full range, lifelike vocals, efficient, and be able to reproduce piano with good accuracy. If a speaker can do all that, i'd like it.

I gotta be able to listen to Alicia Keys on it and have it convince me that girl is in the room with me.
All aspects are important,however;I feel that a pleasing tonality is the key ingrediant.I can't consider the "soundstage" or "air" if I cannot get past a harsh treble or lifeless midrange.Remember that this "tonality" can change drastically with different ancillary equipment(amps,preamps,DACs,and cables)and room placement.Speakers must be auditioned in the context of a specific system (where a synergy is achieved) and in a specific room placement.
Besides what has already been said about, first/second is will they mate with my power amp and then work in my room, cannot have huge speakers in a small space. Then I look for a full range speaker that has most of the above. BTW if you find the perfect speaker let us all know. I hae heard over 30 speakers in the last 6 motnhs and none of them sound the same at all.

Happy Listening.
It's difficult to not use the "buzz phrases" associated with this area but here's a try.

I audition the speakers with the closest thing to my setup as possible (ideally in home but let's be real). I also use several pieces of music that I am very familiar with (CDs I take with me) and these pieces of music are known to me both as they come off of CD as well as off of vinyl.

Listening to the music the issue is one of several parts:

1. How close does what I hear come to what it should sound like off of vinyl.
2. Am I hearing anything new from the recording that perhaps I haven't heard before.
3. Does the music sound like music being played or recorded music being played back.
4. Where is everyone in the ensemble -- are there defined points of presentation from individual instruments and vocalists how "close" are they to each other.
5. What do the things look like.

The evaluation is made up of equal parts of the five items above. There are some likely weightings given (particularly to points 1 through 4. I will make allowances for butt-ugly speaks if they really do the job.

That's what I go through and it's always an interesting ride.

Enjoy.

F7