subwooferability ???

This thread is an off shoot of the crossover debate in the Hometheater forum.
Do you think that consumer grade subwoofers are able to handle the signals produced by the LFE channel AND five to seven other channels of bass.This has only been addressed by one manufacturer,whise (profunder).What are your thoughts ?
kgveteran
I like my Boston Acoustics PV1000 "Velodyne clone". Under $1k discounted, fast and strong. Nice in cherry, too. Keeps up with and mates with my HT system's Spendor front trio nicely. Less importantly, their VR-MX di/bi surrounds are keepers, too.
What it took to get performence in my system and past systems was individual parts assembled through trial and error.The end product is far from some ,"all in one box sub".Their ability to deliver spl's at a full 20-90hz always failed and the whole system suffers from it's inability to do its job.That is why when I hear a new guy looking for reference quality in a one box system I think back to what I was looking for and hope my advice doesn't fall on deaf ears.And not that a 30,000 krell sub would be fun to play with there is no way it took 30000.00 to get reference quality.Yes,I am jeolous of disposable income of that scale.
A TRUE reference LFE channel is hard to find. The best is the PMC XB-3. This is the sub most truly serious mastering and recording facilities use. Most of the recent large scale movies are recorded and mastered with the big PMC systems and the XB-3 is the LFE channel of choice. Nothing else really comes close. It is big, it is expensive at about $11.5K with a Bryston monoblock amp, it takes about 2 months to have one built...but it is without parallel and has credentials that no other LFE speaker system has.

Beyond that...the James EMB-1500 is damned impressive in our showroom, besting all comers below the big PMC's.
New kid on the block "Art of Sound". REL amplifier technology with better drivers and box design. Quality and beauty. Any bass management, be it in the processor or as EQ on the sub will help. shy away from boom boxes.
I just can't believe it cost 11000.00 to get a LFE sub.Give me 11000.00 and i'll build you a sub that will put it to shame.For that kind of money I'll make you breakfast,wash and wax your car and pick the kids up from school,after I vacuum the pool!
More to discover