What is your system - classical and folk.

As a beginner, I would be interested in the equipment you all have purchased, if your favourite music is classical(both instrumental and choral), folk and any traditional style of music. That's what I listen to and it would be good to know what those of you with more experience have spent money on. It seems there would be a difference in requirements from those who listen to mostly rock.

John
baileyje
Rock, R&B, Blues.

i might get yelled at for saying this, my impression is if you mostly listen to rock you dont have to spend a whole lot to get the best system for the genre. If you look at old posts about ROCK speakers, you see alot of reccommendations for LOW to MID-FI because they do rock real well. Equipment that seems to associate with rock is Klipsch, JBL, Cerwin Vega, and the like, not speakers like Puppys, Viennas, Martin Logans, etc etc.

Gotta spend a bit more if you want to hear good R&B, Blues and Jazz, there are more accoustical aspects and it generally is generally a more clear sound, so it shows the weaknesses in your system more than rock does.

Classical is where you gotta spend alot. there are alot of subtle nuances you want to hear.

Think of this, when you listen to rock, you might not really want it to sound like a concert. Most rock sounds better once it has been through some tuning equipment anyways.
Classical, you want not only to hear each of the 600,000 musicians, but also the accoustics of the place they are playing at, its alot harder to recreate this, thus usually needs better equipment.

blues seems to be somewhat in between.
In my opinion good rock is just as hard to acheive as good classical. It all depends on the recording. Pink Floyd has some sweet recordings.

Personally, I listen to everything except classical. I just can't get into it. You can click on my system below.
S7Horton

Looks like a slick rig man.

Maybe i have been stereotyping, but i got the impression that Tube amps were normally used with rigs that want to play classical. I hear (no personal experience on this) that ML's are not the greatest for rock. Ive heard MLs before, but never with good hard rock and roll.

How do you like them for rock? Also, how well does your tube amp drive them? i would have suspected that 50WPC would be too little.

then again, i dont know much about tube amps, ive never heard one. Im looking to get some GMA Europas here in a few months, and im thinking about getting some used Conrad Johnson to power them. Either a Sonographe, or maybe tube Im tempted to go all Tube.

Yeah, you are right with rock, there are some very good recordings out there, and it always helps to have a good system, better than what im using right now.
I guess what i mean is if you can do it, sport 10k for a good stereo system. but those 50,000 rigs for Rock might be overkill is what im saying, as it might show the weaknesses in the recordings, albeit, some are very very good, but alot of them are somewhat crappy as well. I just dont think that MOST rock demands a very high budget system to get the best sound from the recording...

So you like rock and use Tube gear.... were you a little bit hesitant at first to do go with tubes? When it comes to tube gear, i really dont know my butt from a speaker port.

man i wish i could hear a good tube system.