Speakers for Classical and Rock in large space.

I am new to the audiophile world, and I am looking to purchase speakers, amplification.

I have decided to hunt down the speakers first, and then match the other components to them.

I listen to a wide range of music,from jazz to electronic, but a large part of my collection is classical, with an emphasis on big dynamic symphonic stuff.

I would like to find speakers that can handle complex high calorie crescendos with meaty,fast,controlled bass, without blending individual instruments into mush, yet that also sound sweet with small scale solo work, mainting the musical in the music.

On the otherhand, they also need to make me move when I
play rock.

My listening space is unusal- an open, roughly square area about 1400 square feet with twenty foot high ceilings.

Finally, I would prefer to buy them new, and not spend more than 3500.00 dollars.

So far I have auditioned Vandersteen, Dynaudio Audience, Snell XA, Soliloquy, BW nt, and Thiel.

Any thoughts, suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.
billw087b
Bill -

Wow, that's an enormous space you have there! And your top priority is reproducing large-scale classical, which is probably the most demanding music in terms of getting the tonality, textures and inner nuances right along with very good dynamic scale and extremely deep and natural bottom end extension. The bottom octave is of course the most expensive to reproduce well. And if we throw in the rock music requirement, then that puts still more emphasis on good impact and dynamics.

You are absolutely right to make your loudspeaker selection first. Especially with that big room, your speaker choice will greatly narrow down your amplifier choices.

Something you must be aware of - in a room of that size, the reverberant sound will dominate unless you sit very close to the speakers. If you want the tonal balance to be correct throughout your room, then you must find speakers that generate a tonally correct reverberant field. This means, their total off-axis energy must be reasonably smooth and even across the spectrum. This is a rare commodity, as most speakers' radiation patterns vary significantly up and down the spectrum, so that in a large room they tend to sound colored and artificial.

Now, let me tell you how to audition for this when you go to your local stereo store. Turn the volume level up a bit louder than normal, and step out of the room, leaving the door open. Through the open doorway all you can possibly hear is the reverberant sound (assuming you can't see either speaker from where you're standing). What you are hearing is a pretty close approximation of how those speakers will sound in your big room. If a speaker doesn't sound lively and engaging and realistic from the next room, then I would suggest you take it off your list.

By any chance, do you have two corners available? If so, Klipschorns might be worth investigating. I think they still build 'em, though I don't know the price - I presume it's well above $3500 a pair. But they do not need a powerful amplifier, so you'll save money there. This is a speaker that needs to be auditioned - they are not free from coloration, but the things they do right may well more than make up for it. Only your own ears can decide. But you see, the Klipschorns have an unusually uniform radiation pattern up and down the spectrum, so they may well sound less colored overall in your big room than a speaker that sounds smoother when auditioned in the "sweet spot" in a small room. To start tracking down a dealer with Klipschorns on display, go to www.klipsch.com.

I do not know of a loudspeaker that I think would fill your requirements for anything near $3500 a pair new (even if you get a great deal). To stay within your budget, I'm afraid you'd have to make some hard choices as to what compromises you're willing to make. Your large room creates special requirements, as does your taste in music. I'm afraid something is going to have to give - I don't think that for $3500 you can "have it all". Assuming you can't "have it all", what qualities are essential, and what are you willing to give up to get them?

Go ahead and try that listening-in-another-room (l.i.a.r.) trick I mentioned next time you get a chance - it's quite useful and revealing, especially given your room situation.

Best wishes,

Duke
Wow, a 36'x39'room with a 20' high ceiling -- that's what I call a BIG listening room; actually more like a theater or auditorium. I think Duke is right about it being hard to accomplish your goals on your budget.

But a few things popped into my head, for what it's worth. 1) Maybe you could partition a corner of the room off with acoustic barriers and make it easier to accommodate a "normal" system. 2) Perhaps multiple speakers would be better than a stereo pair. 3) You might be better off checking this out with pro-sound people who actually install theater-type systems...

Good Luck!
How have the speakers you have auditioned so far stacked up against your requirements?