Granite Slabs

I recently put granite slabs under my Paradigm Studio 100..the sound is not worse then before if not better..my wife listened;she said the bass is tighter..slightly..but when I listen to it I feel like I lost some bass..or I feel as if the speakers don't rock as much as they used to before..or I am mistaken???..I don't know..can you help me??I would like to hear your experience with marble or granite under the speakers..did I really lose bass??(my ground is wooden..I used to have small carpets under each speaker before..now I have the slabs)
aram
If you're not TOO worried about the looks, find any local stone yard. They have "scraps" that they can let go cheaply, heck, they're usually happy to get them out of their place.

I got my 12" x 12" x 16" blocks for $50 apiece (~300lbs each !). I got a 12" square by 4" slab for $20. I then got a 25" x 18" x 2" AND a 27" x 19" x 1" slab for $30 the pair. The latter slab has a "groove" through it, but it makes no difference to me !

MUCH better than paying hundreds for some of the stuff you see here. You give up the best fo looks, but functionally, they are 100% great. And if they go under equipment or speakers, most of it isn't visible anyways !

Sorry for the diatribe, I just wanted to pass on potentially money saving advice.

Good luck !

Todd - chams_uk
I am an avid audiophile who also owns a granite fabrication company. Let me know if any of you are interested and I will do my best to get you good pricing on custom cut granite slabs in several colors. My house looks like the Flintstones! Happy listening.
OTHER METHODS------my large floor standers are much tighter from low bass to the top-end and image better being placed on aurio 1.1's. i improved upon the effect by placing a 2"x2" grafite square between the aurio and the base of the speaker. i have had a simular exp w/ b&w 802 ser III and silverline lafolias. bob williams from audionuts provided the aurio idea and somes posters on AA suggested the grafit square suggestion.
my floor is ceramic tile over a concrete slab.
Aram,
I agree Gregm is right on about the bass. I would add that since you have wood floors, they can vibrate a lot and add grunge which obscures soundstage and detail. After you get points between your speakers and the granite, do this: place a bicycle innertube under the granite. Inflate it enough to lift 1/2 inch or so and "float" on a linear air spring. This will do wonders.

Cheers
Thank you for all the responses..I think my wooden floor used to exaggerate the bass a bit..vibration..I will keep the granite slabs but the idea to put smt under the granite is also an option..By the way CRP what will your method change in the sound?/I wounder..