Speaker recommendation - 3K budget

I am considering new speakers. My listening room/home office is 11 X 12 X 8. Electronics include Linn Ikemi CD, Plinius 8150 int. amp. Current speakers - B&W Matrix 803.

My goal is to improve the resolution, transparency and to "tighten" the bass.

I listen to jazz, vocals, classical, some rock at moderate listening levels.

My budget is 3K and used is OK. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Joel
joeldoss
After home auditioning the ML Aeons, Thiel 1.6's and the Thiel 2.3's I went with the Thiel 2.3's

They are absolutly beautiful! They re-create music like no other speaker in this price range or even much higher. The build quality is perfect and the drivers are top notch.

I also auditioned speakers from Sonus Faber (Pianos), Vienna, B&W, Energy Veritas, Boston (NOT!!!), JM Labs, Monitor Audio Gold, and a few others.

Oh yeah.. Thiel also has the best customer service and a 10 year warranty. THE END RESULT IS QUALITY PRODUCT.
Why not Nautilus 804's. I wouldn't go bigger in your 11 x 12 room.
Aerial Acoustics are nice without quite the resolution of Nautilus series.
Harbeths are another choice but hard to find. Again, not quite as detailed as Nautilus from what I've read.
An easy recommendation, Magnepan 3.6s. Though you will have to dig a little deeper in your pocket or, purchase them used. The Maggies produce a big dynamic soundstage that exudes reality in abundance. The bass is tight and defined, and the mid-treble range is delicate and delineated. Its a superb speaker but don't squeeze it because it likes its room.

If you must have a box then look at the Thiels. The 2 series should be in your price range. I have owned three sets of Thiels over the years and all were excellent. They are extremely coherent and resolving. The soundstage may not be as large and voluptuous as the Magnepans however; instrument placement and detail seem to be on par. The Thiel coherence is every bit as good.