HELP I need alot of audio advice....

I recently purchased a home theatre systems consisting of PSB Image 5ts, 9c and 2bs. My receiver is a Denon 3802. I am running the hsu vtf-3 sub. The cd player is an Apex 800 which is doubling as cd/dvd player. Occasionally, with the help of a well recorded dvd I get great sound; very realistic; but on the norm the stereo cd's and records (played on a Denon DP-47F) sound like dukie. I need some recommendations for upgrades; cables, separates, speakers, cd player or whatever. I'm in much 2 deep....
rmcrae
Besides the philips sacd/dvd player, you can check out the sony dvp755 progressive scan dvd/sacd player which new is only $250. I use it in my bedroom stereo and it's a great dvd player and a not bad cd player. I strongly suggest that you have it modifed by Matthew Anker (sacdmods.com website, who modified my other sony sacd player) and for another $300-$350 you'll have a killer player. And you can take advantage of the sonic and multi-channel aspects of SACD and of progressive scan if and when applicable.

Good luck and enjoy.
What are you interconnects? If there are the ones that came with your componets toss them and get some Rat Shack gold or AR's basic interconnects these should be under $20 each and get some 14 ga. wire.
I am going to take it back a step. If you are new to this hobby and dukie sounding means glaring in the mids -I have some bad news. If not- just ignore me.
The "better" your system the more finicky it will be with recordings. (you can blame the recording or the eqipment)If you like to listen to mainstream recordings- just forget about spending more money. However I DO agree with all the preceeding posts-just don't get your expectations too high. I am familiar with the Denon and the PSB-not APEX. Rega, Audio Research, will likely help- but are costly. A highly revealing modded player may not be a good idea. I don't want to ramble on cause I do not have a full understanding of your problem. You can e-mail me if I am on track.
The dvd-963sa is a good choice. It is a very good sounding cd and sacd player. I have not seen its video though. You might also want to look at the Pioneer Elite dv-45a. It plays everything. cd cdr dvd video dvd audio and sacd. I have one in my video system and it plays dvds great (component video out to the hd monitor and digital audio out to the denon receiver.