HELP I need alot of audio advice....

I recently purchased a home theatre systems consisting of PSB Image 5ts, 9c and 2bs. My receiver is a Denon 3802. I am running the hsu vtf-3 sub. The cd player is an Apex 800 which is doubling as cd/dvd player. Occasionally, with the help of a well recorded dvd I get great sound; very realistic; but on the norm the stereo cd's and records (played on a Denon DP-47F) sound like dukie. I need some recommendations for upgrades; cables, separates, speakers, cd player or whatever. I'm in much 2 deep....
rmcrae
The biggest improvement will be changing the cd player, maybe check out Sony 555, Rega or Audio Research CD-1 as all three are nice payers. How much are you into 2 channel, as in most cases it's tuff to get the best of both worlds HT and 2 channel. If your happy with the speakers I would consider looking into changing the denon and replacing it with seperates if it's in the bugget. I'm 2 channel first then HT and could never have both in one room, tried it and hated it so I dedicate one room for 2 channel and one for HT.
Happy Listening!
Apex is junk...go philips dvd963sa sacd/dvd player for under $500 online...has seperate audio/video circuitry...cd upsamples to 24 bit...great player all around...
Besides the philips sacd/dvd player, you can check out the sony dvp755 progressive scan dvd/sacd player which new is only $250. I use it in my bedroom stereo and it's a great dvd player and a not bad cd player. I strongly suggest that you have it modifed by Matthew Anker (sacdmods.com website, who modified my other sony sacd player) and for another $300-$350 you'll have a killer player. And you can take advantage of the sonic and multi-channel aspects of SACD and of progressive scan if and when applicable.

Good luck and enjoy.
What are you interconnects? If there are the ones that came with your componets toss them and get some Rat Shack gold or AR's basic interconnects these should be under $20 each and get some 14 ga. wire.