Krell FPB-300 -W?- Pre- AR MRK 11 or BAT 50SE-51SE

I'm using the Krell FPB300 and the KRC-3 today, somewhat bright/harch. ( don't get me wrong I do love my system )I see that many Krell Amps are being paired up with Tubes. I have read some reviews on both, and they sounded very good. Audio Research Mrk 11 or BAT 50-SE /51SE
Your thoughts please and any other high end pre under $6K. Thank you

Other components being used
Infinity's Prelude/RABOS
Transparent Reference Cables
XA7ES CD player, 38lbs of class A (will upgrade in 2003)
Power line conditioners
proy
I agree that the Wadia, with the proper balanced interconnects, and with the output sensitivity adjusted, will sound very good indeed. I have used the 850 this way, and the current owner, who is in the music business in Canada, is very pleased with his set up running "direct." The nice thing about the 86x is that you also have a balance control lacking on the 850.
I run a Wadia 830 direct into my BAT amp...big system improvement removing a preamp and those interconnects...the Wadia lets you set its volume control to your amps output voltage so you can keep the volume in the 70 percent or greater setting for the most resolution-bits.
I use a Hovland HP100 pre with Krell FPB 300cx. Marriage made in heaven. no problems with matching.

Neal