Power amp recommendations for 1000 and under

Hello all

I have budgeted $1000 dollars for a power amp (new or used) and wanted to know from people what they would buy in my position.

Thanks
krazeeyka3ab
I agree with the McCormack recommendation. What I would do though is buy a DNA-0.5 and put the rest back towards a revision A upgrade for the amp from SMC Audio. If you opt to go with the DNA-0.5, you can take the rest of the money and apply it towards a better pre-amp. I personally like what a tube pre-amp does between a CDP and SS amp. I use a Cary Audio SLP-50B.
audio refinement is made by YBA and enjoys the same build quality for only a fraction of the price. This is an integrated amp but for the $ you have to spend you cant buy a great preamp anyway
If you want to take some of the "edge" off, try the Counterpoint SA-20 or SA-220. (The 220 is the later version with a couple of minor updates.) 220 WPC of hybrid bliss. There is one for sale now at $700. Go for it.

Your next upgrade might be a pre-amp. A good tube model like the Audible Illusions M3A (around $1100 used) might be a good choice. Even the older Audible Illusions pre's would smoke the Adcom and they can be had for well under $500.

I would think that the SA-20/AI/Vanderstein combo would be great, depending on your taste in music. The Planet is about all you'd need in a CD player, but you could upgrade to an outboard DAC later if you get the bug. What are your plans for analog? (FYI- the AI pre has a fairly good MM phono section. Some even came with a great MC phono section.)

Regards
Jim
When I owned Vandersteen 2CE's I drove them with Quicksilver Silver 90 mono's. I have heard these amps drive Vandersteen 3's and they will work well. I don't know if you can get them used for $1000. I sold mine for $1100 easily. Subsequently, I needed to go to a stereo tube amp and I bought an AMC CVT2100as from retrodaze audio for around $700 and it is very close to the Quicksilver in sound quality. It does have 10 wpc less than the Quicksilver (80 vs 90) but that may not make much difference. I don't think you can use the 60 watt Quicksilvers with the Vandersteen 3's as they need some power to work effectively.