Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE brightness?

Hi. I just auditioned Dyn 1.3 SE speakers. As impressed as I was, I was surprised by their brightness. Not something I associate with Dynaudio, nor do I remember it from the 1.1's I listened to way back when.

What stood out was definite sibilance. For example, on Transcendental Blues (title track from the Steve Earle CD), vocal t's and s's all had an exaggerated tttssss to them. Cymbals on some jazz CDs (ex, Årt Blakey, Night In Tunisia gold disk) had an exaggerated metallic clash. Same for the kick drum on Yello's The race (one of my favorite listening CDs). Overall, fatiguing despite the speakers otherwise brilliance.

Setup was a the Musical Fidelity A3 CD player and A3 integrated amp, and some Tara labs cables (sorry, don't know which).

In the archives I found ONE similar comment, but mostly just praise. Any explanations? Not broken-in speakers? Poor match w/electronics? (When I heard the 1.1s, they were matched with Classe separates). The truth about my CDs, revealed? Dynaudio realitly?

Thanks, I don't want to give up on these ones.... yet....
tkdawacsdcc2
Part Two.
I have GREAT respect for Dynaudio drivers, and use speakers that have modified Scanspeak, Dynalab and Audio ?? of Denmark custom drivers (E. Skaaning).
The problem I've found is that Dynaudio seems less skilled at assembling systems from their drivers than other speaker majufacturers who use them! Several dealers have suggested to me that Dynaudio speakers sound like a great bunch of parts...and no musical. You may be hearing just that: a great woofer and tweeter not ideally blended...especially in your hard and lively room? Don't be afraid to modify the tweeter padding either electrically or mechanically, as I outlined above...you may be surprised that you may be able to dial it in to your great satisfaction! If not, sell 'em and try the Spendors. Ha!
I am a dynaudio 1,3MK2 owner and have used different setup to drive this gems.
I have no doubt about dynaudio driver being world-class standard however, it does not have world-class musicality compare to other top-notch monitors. For instance, it has a mediocre depth although it has excellent clarity and transparency.

I too encountered over-brightness in my dynaudio 1.3mK2 before settling down. To be frank, generally comparing to other monitors, I think 1,3Mk2 design has the highs a bit too forward/overintensified. I have similar feeling when I audition very carefully at showrooms /friend's home, and making numerous comparison with others.

While if you are going for a loudspeaker which gives very transparent highs,punchy bass and able to play loud with low distortion, these is the speaker for you.

I still own this speaker because it has a very transparent highs and authorative bass.
Interesting as I have owned Wilsons and others, and the SEs are one of the few that integrate the drivers superbly. I also like the 3.0, but my room doesn't need that big of a speaker.

Dyns jam or boogie so to speak...i was surprised how many speakers when you put on some Boston sound like boredom.

I run mine on Cary V12i btw