Does full range guarantee bass?

Generally speaking, if I get full range speakers, which will go below 40hz, will that get me good bass or does the amp still play a big part of it?

How many people have tube amps with great mids and hi ends, but lousy bottom, and then add a subwoofer to add the bass, even when they use full range speakers?

I read that Vandersteen subwoofers need to be paired with full range speakers in order to get the best sound? Why would that be?

In other words, do full range speakers always give you full range or just allow you to get full range?
matchstikman
Stehno,I totally agree.We all know there's not alot down there at 16 hz.Unless it's an action movie or something of the sort.But the guys here with real fullrange speakers ,know they are getting a decent response at 40 hz.Where alot of speakers do swan dives to -6db or worst before it even reaches the feeling of the soundwaves.I tested the 6.3s at 40hz,at this freq you can't hear anything accept the windows,pictures.and loose objects vibrating around in the room.To be able to feel John Claytons bass strings and not just hear them adds some excitement to the music.At least for me it does.Ha Ha Ha
Happy Listening!
looks like I ruffled some feathers!...c'mon this is only hi-end audio!(guilty as charged)...at any rate...for those of us who dont have 6k at our disposal(must be rough!)and thus cant afford to do it in an "all in one" speaker...a decent (active) sub "dialed" into to 40hz full range speakers(or close to as possible) can provide the full spectrum many crave...is this as seamless as a speaker that goes down into or below the 20hz range?...that remains to be seen...at any rate...a sub/monitor system is a cost effective way to achieve it....
Rsbeck, try some Mackie HR 624's. These are active 2 ways, bass as you describe. I don't think a passive 2-way can match the tight, deep, bass of an active design.
Phasecorrect, if you meant me, I did not mean to sound as if my feathers were ruffled. They were not. Shoot, I don't even have feathers.

Like I said, your one statement about subwoofers seemed pretty dogmatic. I meant nothing more and nothing less.

Sorry if my words came across any other way.

-IMO
A small note:
Full range is not acheivable by any of FM tuner(broadcast limitations 50Hz...15KHz).