Are there any DACs that can go low?

I have a W4S DAC-2 (with Audiophilleo), I have also auditioned an Ayre QB-9, own a Cary Xciter, have owned a Peachtree Nova, and have an Oppo BDP-95. I try to use high definition files from a Mac Mini over Audionirvana.

None of these can approach the lows that my reference source can (a Clearaudio Performance SE turntable with Artist V2 ebony Cartridge and Ayre P-5xe stage). My reference is a Clearaudio Performance SE turntable with Artist V2 ebony Cartridge and Ayre P-5xe stage. The bass is so much richer and deeper with that as my reference and the midrange sounds fuller too. Highs never sound shrill either.

Are there any DACs out there that can approach a more neutral sound, at least as I see it?
128x128intermediatic
The Chord Qute HD has a very good bottom end - possibly the best I have ever heard.

I heard a direct comparison between it and a WFS and the bass was better - but if the Chord was an overall better DAC is a matter of personal opinion - some thought it was - others preferred the WFS.

As Doggie mentioned the Playback Designs has an excellent bottom end as well and, especially via DSD, but via PCM as well, is better that the Chord - but a LOT more expensive.

Thanks
Bill
My learning over time tells me that for DACs (like all other audio components) it will be hit or miss in low end performance, which will be system dependent. Of course there will be exceptions.

The system dependency involves:

1.favorable impedance matching between sources, electronics, and speakers (without this you won't get the bass performance another guy gets from the same component)

2. jitter

I'm no EE and don't understand all the technical aspects, but an impedance match or mismatch is huge in all things audio and definitely affects bass power and depth.

Jitter is its own issue in the world of computer audio.

I wish there was more focus by everyone in audio on impedance matching to help audiophiles not waste money on quality gear that just won't work well together.

Reviewers, manufacturers, dealers, and audiophiles need to communicate more in these terms. Don't get me started!! You can do your due diligence, in research, which I have done. But it took time, money and self-education to face the realty about impedance matching of components. You must sometimes contact manufacturers because they often don't publish the input and output impedance specs you need to know before you buy. Those specs should always be published. Unfortunately, we don't get to hear a new addition to our system in our system before we buy, especially on the used market.

Sorry for my long rant!
FYI, jitter is not limited to computer audio. It is just as big a problem with CD and SACD players and devices like Apple TV and Sonos. It is a generic digital audio issue.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio