Want speakers for 700 but none sound good.

Hello all,

I apologize for asking a question which might have been asked many times before, but I have a small problem at hand. I need speakers around <$700 and I have auditioned quite a few incl B&W 602.5 S3, Triangle Titus 202, JBL S38II, Paradigm Studio 20 v2 etc. These are all good speakers I am sure but somehow don't do it for me. I am probably like the other guy who said he had 'audiophile tastes but a poor man's budget' or something.

The speakers above were auditioned at home. I have a NAD c350 amp, Cambridge audio CD player with Straightwire Maestro interconnects and apature speaker cables. The (small) listening room measures about 10'x12'x8' (LxWxH) w/ hardwood floors (I know bad!). The speakers are going to be replacing the excellent Boston Acoustics A70 speakers from the late 80s. Very very good for it's time but, sadly, dead with torn woofers and distorting tweeters. I may not get good replacements knowing the only mid-fi quality of current BA drivers (some may beg to differ).

Sorry for the longish post but I need help getting room filling sound with tight bass and good detail/imaging from speakers that you recommend. Not much concerned with playing too loud. New age electronic/ acoustic and some rock music.

Thanks a lot!
pranagas
The Epos M12 mentioned by Sugarbrie is a good bet. I havent heard it but someone (or two) I trust sells it and says it is very good.
THE BEST USED SPEAKER IN YOUR PRICE RANGE WOULD BE A PAIR OF DAHLQUIST DQ10 OR DQ20.YOU MAY HAVE TO GET THE WOOFERS REFOAMED IF THEY HAVE NOT BEEN DONE ALREADY.COST WOULD BE AROUND $120 FOR BOTH WOOFERS AND THEN YOU WOULD BE SET.
I used to have the same sized room your in (10.5 X 12.5 X 8), and can tell you that you'll probably get no better sound for around $800-$1000 used from a set of Thiel 1.5's!!! You'll need to rig some stands, or buy later, for height adjustment however(floorstander/two way that needs more height), as the soundstage will be too low otherwise! TDhey actually make stands for these excellent speakers, that bring up the height about 11" I think. Yes, they are more than the $700 you mentioned, but way way worth, it, and you can get away with good sonics in that room with carful set-up! Don't go any more full rang however, as you'll have problems with boom in that room, and thumpy bass. You'll be ok with that wood floor however, if you can diffuse some sound in the room elsewhere on the walls somehow. Actually, you will be supprised at the sound with great speakers/set-up in there, wood floor and all.
another good bet in the $700 price range however would be some "sealed box/acoustic suspension design", or one with limited bass extension (two way monitor). It's REAL hard to get proper balance in very small rooms with speakers that play too deep, and that are set-up high on stands with your 8" ceiling/small room acoustics. Stay with limited extension floor standers, prefereably speakers that play no lower than 45hz or so. Unless your room is open to hallway's and unmentioned openings, you'll have very very strong bass modes in your lower bass region in most of the room. I know those Thiels will work, and sound world class if done right. They will do well with alot of music, and are an audiophile classic favorit(reviewed like 3 or 4 times in Stereophile over the years, and only class B due to limited extension/output.
There are other speakers in your price range that come to mind, but you'll be hard pressed to make a lot of em sound as good in YOUR small room, with world class sound potential like the Thiels. They actually sound best with tube gear/integrateds for best results though. Infact, I worked in a store that had Wilson, Thiel, Audophysic, Martin Logan, Magnapan, Celestion, Vienna Acoustics, etc, and the little Thiel 1.5's was about our best sounding set-up for quite a while!...no kidding!
Anyway, I like em when matched up right...they're very accurate sounding, ultra clear and detailed, and refined.
You could also find some smaller Spenders, B&W Matrix 805's used (soft plug the ports to limit extesion a tick) for about $600-$700 range, used Dunlavy SCI's for the same or less that you might find accomodating on some 24" stands or shorter in that room. Hummmmmm...other choices are tough.
Anyway, speakers is personal, and set-up is important. You may have been less than pleased with some of your choices i that room because of POOR SETUP!! yes, it's tough to set-up speakers well in smaller domestic rooms, especiallly that small! You have to spend time getting them in the right spot in the room, especially since your probably sitting next to the back wall!...right? good luck...I think you'll win with the Thiels or even B&W 805's if you do it right, and if you can spend a tad more if applicable. Good luck