Totem or B&W?

I am new to this audio craze and am still trying to learn as much as possible before I make my first big purchase. I am a classical musician and mostly listen to classical music although I enjoy listening to pop, rap, alternative, jazz etc. I am close to purchasing a Rotel RC-1070 preamp and the RB-1080 amp. I have visited many audio stores and have narrowed down the speakers I like to B&W and Totem. I originally was comparing the B&W 602 series to the Totem Mites but recently made the mistake of listening to the Totem Mani2s. Anyone know which speakers will work best with the Rotel setup? I would prefer to stay under $1,000 for speakers but if I do decide to go with the Totem Model-1 or Mani-2 (used) will I have to step up to a better pre-amp and amp?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
mattmusic
I too am a classical music fan and for years have used Totem Mani-2's. As this seems to be your initial major audio purchase, you should be forewarned that using the Mani-2's with lesser electronics will likely lead to disappointment. The Mani-2's are a difficult load and require high current, high quality amplification in order to sing (and they truly can sing!). I question whether the Rotels will satisfy. I have been happy driving the Mani-2's with a venerable Levinson 27 (about $1500 used) and would recommend that or something of that ilk.
If you're not in a hurry, you can probably get a pair of BW 602's on line for $250. or slightly more. And given your choices, you'd probably be happy with them. If not, sell them, trade up, you have nothing to lose. I have a set of 602's that I once used as front mains for stereo between systems. their not bad, but inadequate for great listening imo. I had a set of BW N804's and am now looking at 802's.
The 602's are now part of my HT 5.1 set up.
good luck
forget both of those brands..if you are looking for bookshelf or small monitors you should go for VMPS..their QS0 626 models cost between 1000 and 1500 $ and I am sure they will beat both Totem and B&W....have a look for VMPS website..there is lots of information there including the prices....
ACI Sapphire. Slightly over your budget but they will take you to a whole other level. I've owned or auditioned many fine speakers from Thiels to B&Ws to Wilsons, etc. and the Sapphires are one of the most musically enjoyable speaker I've experienced. Give them a try, you won't send them back!
I have not heard the Totem Mani-2s, but I have heard the Totem Sttaf and Hawk and I liked them MUCH better than the comparable B&W models. Whether you go with Totems or not, I wouldn't say that you would 'have to' step up to a better preamp and amp to start with.

I am a member of the camp that believes that you should first find speakers that you like (within your price range), and then start making changes upstream to compliment the speakers. Therefore, my advice would be to spend a little more on speakers (to start with) and a little less on electronics.

Of course, some will disagree...