Best 1,000 complete system for girlfriend ideas

She wants to buy new at Best buy while I am trying to talk her into high end used? She lives in an apartment. She listens to jazz, sting, Sade?, etc. Any Suggestions?
My suggestion
DVD//CD $175 Best buy special
Speakers $300 Kef cresta 2
Amp. NAD $300
Preamp NAD $200
cable EXOS $25
$1,000

Sub later
lance328
High end seperates suggestion have been made above so I will stear in the mini component system. The Denon DRA-F100 and DCD-F100 reference system with matched Mission 771 or 71B speakers.(i prefered the 771 speakers for its slightly better sound and cherry finish) 30 W/channel . The sound is very high-end. The components are very well made, have their own power supplies, have champagne beige finish and comes with remote. The speakers are bi-wirable. Get better interconnects and speaker wire and you have very clean sounding system in attractive package. All for around less than $800.00 . Find used subwoofer later. or for $200 from Agon. The Speakers goes low enough -55 Hz or so, so she may not need SW. At least have a look. My wife loves this system. It is 'her's' but of course I listen while reading in bed.
Thanks everyone! I Think a reciever is the picture here and a DVD/cd player. I am sending her to a high end store and Best buy with her favorite cd in hand to listen to the difference. I know it has to be to her liking or else....
There is a lot of good advice. Teac and Denon both have very nice systems (mini/compact) for under $1000 that sound good. Take a hard look. The girl friend factor is probably worse than the wife factor. Do not play around with used electronics. Used speakers are OK. Good luck. Contact me if you want to go over this in more detail. I used to be in the industry and have seen it all. Cheers!
Lance, i did something similar with a lady friend of mine in the past. She was looking for a system and had been looking at "rack systems". She was about ready to buy, but needed another week to come up with the rest of the money. Trying to steer her in the "right direction", we went to a local audio shop that carried very nice gear. I explained to the owner what she was looking for and how much she had to spend. He picked out components and assembled a system for her while we waited. It consisted of a cd player, integrated amp and small two ways that were sealed.

She sat down to listen. Not only did she think that it sounded VERY clean, clear and natural, she was amazed at how much sound came out of "those little speakers". After all, she was comparing them to big ported boxes with a large woofer. The owner of the shop suggested listening to a different amplifier, actually a receiver. That way she could decide if the trade off in sound quality would warrant the inclusion of a tuner. His thinking was that she would be better off with a a good basic system and she could always add a tuner in a short time. She replied, "i'll never be able to hear a difference in that stuff", but he hooked up the receiver anyhow. She instantly said "wow, it sounds like somebody put a sheet over the speakers". She COULD hear the difference and it was obvious. She was using audio terminology even though she didn't know it. The receiver sounded "veiled" in comparison to the integrated.

In the long run, she bought the rack system. Not only did it have an equalizer, more lights, looked fancier and had a remote, it came with "BIG" speakers and the rack too....

Bottom line. Work with her WHATEVER she gets. It may not be what you would like her to have, but it IS her money and decision. Besides, listening to her system will only help you to appreciate yours even more : ) Sean
>
I wouldn't go overboard. Whatever you get you probably aren't going to be able to set the speakers/room up properly. The speakers will almost certainly end up flush against a wall and off axis from the listening position. This rules out anything rear ported like the B&W 303.