Electrostats Shootout at 4000 Corral

from the latest electrostat technology the gunslingers are from kansas the legendary MARTIN LOGAN with the ASSENT($4000) from utah SOUND LABS with their handsome DYNOSTAT($3900) and from georgia INNERSOUND with EROS PASSIVE($4000) to make this as fair as possibile KRELL 300i amp($3000 new $1200 used) and for CDP hmmm take the NAD C540($600 NEW) i would prefer GASMAN'S recommendation the powerful INNERSOUND ESL amp($3000 new) gives 300 watts into 8 ohms 600 into 4 and 1000 into 2. for cdp i would prefer the new GRANITE 657 TUBE CDP($2500). i have seen MARTIN LOGAN shoot, BEAUTIFUL! no dealers in new orleans for INNERSOUND or SOUND LABS , guess have to drive to houston or atlanta to hear these guys. you know it seems the shootout is not between these 3, its more like these 3 against the HUNDREDS of box LOUDspeakers(WITH THE WILSONS leading the pack and the MAGEPLANNARS are in the pack as well. sorry maggie devotes i'VE HEARD THE MAGGIE 1.6 with CALIFORNIA LABS CDP and a NAD amp as well with a ROGUE amp ,not impressed. so its a question of which of the 3 electrostat can knock off the most boxed LOUD speakers. tweekerman
tweekerman
these retail for $4600 ($3800 if ya can install the drivers yourself). they're hybrid ribbons, w/carbon-fibre woofers. they just won best sound of show at the recent ces. many folks have compared then favorably w/the ultra-spendy soundlabs, & the m-l prodigy's... they're on my short-list of speakers to audition...

doug s.

Tweekerman
Hey,I own Soundlab Ultimate II's and live near New Orleans.You gotta go see Duke at Audiokinesis,he's the man.504.866.1730.He's extremely knowledgeable about audio and Soundlab's.Also,he's a audio club president/vice president or something of that nature,locally.Ask him about the club.I would seek him out for anything in audio if he carries it.No pressure has ever been placed on me to purchase anything for him.Go see him you'll have a blast!
BTW,my Soundlabs have found permanence in my home.Never have I had such glorious music before these were purchased. Remember mating Soundlabs with the "right" amp,preamp and cables pays big dividends.I have had my Ultimate II's for four years and "finally" I'm close to saying it can't get much better than this.I listen now without being critical.I have "arrived". I used to hear people talk about "musicians in the room" with their systems.They also show up in my listening room now.As you can see when you mention Soundlab,I get excited.!Also,consult Albert Porter about Soundlabs.You will probably see him appear in this thread eventually.I don't give out email addresses you must talk to him.

Chuckie
Tweekerman, to answer your question, I would take the Eros Mk-II over the CLS IIz and the REL Storm combo (to me that's not even a close call). As transparent as the CLS IIz may be, the Eros is equally adept. And I have never heard the CLS throw the kind of huge, open soundfield that the Eros can easily manage. Nor can it match The Eros' dynamic capability or maximum output level. Plus if you get the Eros II, you may find that you don't even need a subwoofer. And you can always add a great subwoofer down the road if you think you are missing much. Actually, Roger Sanders does not recommend a subwoofer for use with the Eros unless it is a very high quality sub crossed very low. With the CLS you will almost certainly need the woofer right off the bat.

BTW, for those who are curious, Roger Sanders is not resting on his laurels. He is working on an even larger electrostatic system, the Ethos, although that system may not be a reality in the near term. He has also told me of some tube amplifiers he is developing, including a direct-drive OTL model to drive his ESL panels, which may be introduced sometime later this year.

InnerSound appears to be a proactive company, that is not about to become complacent in the light of the good press it has received thus far. I think this kind of progressive approach is key to continuing success in the long term.
Soundlab for sure if its got to be electrostat, the Maggies can sound really nice as well but differ from the electrostatic sound to an extent. You will hear the associated equipments flaws in any revealing, neutral speaker like Maggies or good electrostats. The 1.6qr can sound excellent with the proper gear behind them, I'd be scared to hear 1.6's with substandard associated equipment. Most dynamic planars and electrostats expose the good and the bad in the chain, so be prepared for not so impressive sound with the wrong associated equipment, wrong room and wrong placement with panels.
I think there is great value for the money with used elecrostats like Soundlab as most owners take excellent care of them, they are usually kept safe from danger in a friendly environment and are seldom moved. For bass you need big electrostats to produce low frequencies; most agree that Soundlab has done its homework to ensure that this has been accomplished. The hybrids I have heard never seem to integrate as well as full-range electrostats, theres no way I would throw a sub in the system with the Soundlabs. Well maybe 2 more SL's used as bass panels :)

Good luck,
Chris
Hi Plato, Unfortunately I haven´t heard the Innersounds so I can´t comment on the Eros. I´m sure they´re sounding great but I´m not so sure they would pass the WAF test and so far I´m very happy with my musical Magnepans.
Which full range ´stats in the SL line have you heard? I don´t think I have the space to house them but I´m curious to know how they compare to other panels.