Electrostats Shootout at 4000 Corral

from the latest electrostat technology the gunslingers are from kansas the legendary MARTIN LOGAN with the ASSENT($4000) from utah SOUND LABS with their handsome DYNOSTAT($3900) and from georgia INNERSOUND with EROS PASSIVE($4000) to make this as fair as possibile KRELL 300i amp($3000 new $1200 used) and for CDP hmmm take the NAD C540($600 NEW) i would prefer GASMAN'S recommendation the powerful INNERSOUND ESL amp($3000 new) gives 300 watts into 8 ohms 600 into 4 and 1000 into 2. for cdp i would prefer the new GRANITE 657 TUBE CDP($2500). i have seen MARTIN LOGAN shoot, BEAUTIFUL! no dealers in new orleans for INNERSOUND or SOUND LABS , guess have to drive to houston or atlanta to hear these guys. you know it seems the shootout is not between these 3, its more like these 3 against the HUNDREDS of box LOUDspeakers(WITH THE WILSONS leading the pack and the MAGEPLANNARS are in the pack as well. sorry maggie devotes i'VE HEARD THE MAGGIE 1.6 with CALIFORNIA LABS CDP and a NAD amp as well with a ROGUE amp ,not impressed. so its a question of which of the 3 electrostat can knock off the most boxed LOUD speakers. tweekerman
tweekerman

Showing 5 responses by sedond

these retail for $4600 ($3800 if ya can install the drivers yourself). they're hybrid ribbons, w/carbon-fibre woofers. they just won best sound of show at the recent ces. many folks have compared then favorably w/the ultra-spendy soundlabs, & the m-l prodigy's... they're on my short-list of speakers to audition...

doug s.

you may be making a big mistake if you fail to check out the vmps rm-40 ribbon loudspeakers. as said before, they have been compared favorably to speakers costing more than three times their price. specifically the m-l prodigy & soundlab a1.

a similar sound, that may even work better in smaller rooms, for even less money, can be found in the vmps rm1 or rm2.

as it seems you are so intent on others' opinions, & that winning the best sound of the show at the 2002 ces isn't enough, go to harmonicdiscord.com & check out owners' comments on the vmps forum there. also, you'll find that brian cheney, vmps' owner, is very active & helpful.

regards,

doug s.

hi tweek,

all i can add is this - if the ml cls' went louder than 93db (which they won't do, even when crossed over to subs at as high as 100hz), i would have a pair in my house right now. absolutely one of the best sounds i've ever heard - for small acoustical music. if all of the classical music you listen to is quartets, chamber music, etc., then you'll be fine. otherwise, i think not. my opinion, of course! ;~)

not much info/foto's on vmps' latest iterations of their rm1 & rm2 (retail $1600 & $2400, plus options); & the new rm40 has even less - brian needs to update his website. go to the harmonicdiscord site, &/or email brian directly. (vmpsaudio.com) here's a foto of the rm40, from the '02 ces:

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/image.pl?i=Cheney.jpg

regards,

doug s.

tweek, ya say:

"...so yea i can make the sacrifice on low end for what i get in mids and highs..."

no sacrifices required - repeat after me: vmps rm40... vmps rm40... vmps rm40... ;~)

doug s.

hey tweek, go to the harmonicdiscord site & check out vmps' forum there - brian's www is outta date, supposed to be updated any time. the latest rm1 & rm2 are better than what's shown on his site - improved ribbon midrange *and* tweet. the new midrange x-over is now something like 157hz instead of the 450hz as shown on the website.

and, no, the rm40 ain't there yet, which is why i posted the previous link to a foto of it from the ces. and a few folks who've purchased the rm40 (& the rm1 & 2) give their opinions on the speakers on the harmonicdiscord site...

if money is an issue, (when *isn't* it!) you can even save a few more bucks by getting the kits, w/or w/o cabinets, depending on your skills. if ya get the cabinets, then ya just have to install the hardware & solder up the wire. also, a few dealers have been known to haggle on price, and shipping *is* included in the price. this can be quite a savings, especially if ya went for the rm40's, which weigh in at 240lbs *each*! brian makes sure the cabinets are well-damped! ;~)

doug s.