Monitors vs Full Range

other than room constraints,what would be the reasons to choose a Monitor speaker over a full range floor standing type? As much as I try to find things better in my Monitors,(Acoustic Energy ae2, Sci Fi Crown Joules, Sonus Fabers, etc etc) they cant stack up to my Duntech floor standers. A monitor just lacks that mid bass that gives recordings a live real feel.
128x128justlisten
price constraints.

Dollar for dollar a monitor will give better sound (midrange, imaging, transparency) (minus the bass). When finances and room space free up add a sub for the bass.

I too prefer floorstanders, but I'm fortunate to have the money and the room at the moment. Most floorstanders are not full range, and also benefit from a sub.
There is no replacement for Full range (down to 20 Hz) Phase,time and pulse coherent speakers, no matter how good the monitors are! In my opinion. My Dunlavy V's stops me to even consider smaller alternative!
In addition to better soundstaging, a monitor pair with subwoofer(s) offers the opportunity to locate the subwoofer optimally in the room. The best location for the monitor is usually not the best for the subwoofer. A full range floor standing system ties the woofer location to the mid and treble driver location. Usually, we place the system to optimize the mids and treble, resulting in a sub-optimal (forgive the pun) location for the woofer. Nilthepill makes a good point that compatibility between monitors and subwoofers is important but difficult to attain. Of course the best set-up might be a well-matched set of monitors and subwoofer, properly located in your room.
As an apartment dweller, my living room is my music room. Apart from the other good points mentioned above, monitors integrate with a space better, both visually and psychically, than floorstanders do. With monitors and tasteful (no exposed hardware) two pillar Target stands it ALMOST looks like a normal human being might be living here. Sometimes I miss the tangible bass wave my last floorstanders rolled out but not too much.

The other point worth mentioning and which may be monitors' primary raison d'etre: monitors are more socially responsible, that is, more neighbor friendly due to their restrained bass response.
i pretty-much agree w/what everyone's said here. that's why i think even nilthepill's set-up could be improved w/a pair of great subs flanking his "monitors"! :>)

doug s.