my Talon Khorus sounds bad

my Talon Khorus sounds bad...
i've recently purchased a preowned talon khorus loudspeakers (about a year old) ,
at high listening level rock music sounds compressed,
distorted...not what u'd expect from a 14000 dollars
(retail) .
WHAT CAN B WRONG HERE?
those speakers are hooked with a nordost blue haven wire
to a krell 300i integraged amp and a rega planet 2000 cd
player.
thanks and regards
dave4u
They are frenkly quite bad sounding speakers, the only time I have heard them sound reasonable is when used with a Tact rcs room/speaker coreection. The midrange is very recessed.
Mass music is often really badly recorded, I have heard the Talon and thought they were very even and balanced sounding.

Do yourself a favor, pick up a XRCD Jazz CD and/or Gold CD and test, or pick up a Radiohead CD for Quality and see.. I have a quality system and often metal/rock music sounds so-so...

Matt
Believe it or not they might not be broken-in yet. It can take a hell of a time to break them in. Some people just getting tired and sell them for nothing comparing to the new retail price. The break-in time should be minimum 400hrs(months of continuous playing). If you have some recordings of the ocean waves than play them at the high volume for a couple of days to "massage" the drivers. This kind of CD you can get from amusicdirect.com. Once you play it you can see how your drivers are moving.
If you listen to a heavy metal or hard rock it doesn't mean that for the sound sake you must listen to some XRCD, SACD jazz...
The best sounding rock recording as far as I know is King Crimson -- Larks Tongues in Aspic. You might also want to check your speakers with Queen's Innuendo. Metallica has lots of MFSL stuff and every album recorded great.
I listened to Talon speakers that were broken in and thought that they sounded the same as your desciption,compressed.Their sound reminded me of the portable transistor radios that were popular back in the 60's. I was not impressed and cannot understand what all the hype is about!
You may want to think about dumping the Krell. A $14k (retail) pair of speakers deserve better than that integrated amp.