600 used speakers?

I know that this isn't going to be hi-fi, but hopefully, I can buy some nice sounding speakers in that price range.

My system so far: Adcom GFA 555 amp, PS Audio 4.6 Pre-Amp, Harmon Kardon CDR-2.

The room is approximately 14' X 20' w/ 8' ceilings, a large oriental rug, a couch and a bay window . It's the living room of a brownstone that I'm renovating & there's not too much extra space in the room, so I like the idea of something tall & slender (looks count). The speakers will be on the 14' wall facing the bay window.

I listen to alot of CDR's: including, but not limited to Bonnie Raitt, Aretha Franklin, Patti Smith, Led Zepplin, Clapton, Grateful Dead and so on.

Eventually, I'm going to invest in good inter-connects, speaker wire, a power source and a decent turntable....but for now I need speaker.

THANK YOU
mctuff
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I would look for a clean pair of dahlquist dq20 speakers.these are outstanding speakers.I still own a mint pair which are not for sale.I have also lived with vandersteen 3a sig. and alons.I am currently using von schweikert vr6'but still will not part with my DQ20'S. They can be found for your price and well worth the wait. regards,RICH
I upgraded from a pair of Vandersteen 1B's (left them with my roommate in Seattle when I moved) to B&W CDM1nt's...With the CDM's you are going to need a sub (more$)...so yet again, Even as a proud B&W owner, I am going to have to cast yet another vote for the 2Ce's.
I have an Adcom 535II that I've been using to drive Vandersteen 2CEs and PSB Silver Minis (but not simultaneously). Both speakers sound very well on my 535II. Without trying to start an argument with anyone, the 2CEs get the nod acoustically but they're not as "slender" as the minis. Also, they have to be placed further away from the back wall than the minis before they really reach their potential.
There is a pair of Meadowlark Audio Kestrals that just came available here on Audiogon. The asking price is $695. I think you would be happy with these, no need for sub.
I have to agree with all of those who have suggested the Vandersteen 2CE. They are priced well because the only 2C that is made at this point is the 2CE Signature. The original 2CE is a easy speaker to love. Your gear will sound just fine with the speaker. They are very easy to drive. They are full range so that your music will sound rather full bodied. They are not the most revealing speaker and that works well with many of the bright rock recordings that you and I listen to. A great value.

Another advantage is that if you choose to upgrade later you can either sell them at close to what you paid for them, upgrade them to 2CE signatures at a reasonable rate, or add a Vandersteen 2W subwoofer at a great price readily available on the used market. I think that if you can find a recent pair with stands at the $750 level you will have done well. Good Luck.