Speaking of scams, how does Paypal work....

EBAY represents that the use of paypal makes any email transaction secure. How is that? As I understand it, you are just wiring funds from your credit card account to the sellers. Is is easy to get your $$$$ back if there is a problem???? Thanks for any info
mythtrip
Paypal also provides you with the option of wiring funds from a checking account (which they prefer) to the payee. But you have to take steps to protect yourself; after all, your credit card and checking account numbers are travelling over the internet and there is always the possibility that they can be hijacked. Not a slam against PayPal's security ot integrity, just a fact of internet life.

What I did was to open a separate checking account at my local bank that I use exclusively for PayPal. I never keep any money in this account per above. When I make a purchase on ebay or wherever, I transfer funds to this account and then use PayPal.
PayPal works great if you don't have any issues. They are not so helpful when you need to file a claim. Just do your homework and you should be ok. -aj
Paypal has always worked great for me as well. They now accept American Express. Amex will always withold payment if a cardholder protests a payment. I have only done this twice thru the years but they stood beside me both times.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here. Ebay is buying out paypal.

And to echo...do your homework. For an expensive audio item I want to be comfortable. Phone calls, emails whatever it takes.
Hi Gs5556,

I just wanted to clarify that banking/credit card information is not transmitted to someone when you make a payment.

"Paypal also provides you with the option of wiring funds from a checking account (which they prefer) to the payee. But you have to take steps to protect yourself; after all, your credit card and checking account numbers are travelling over the internet and there is always the possibility that they can be hijacked. Not a slam against PayPal's security ot integrity, just a fact of internet life."

Regards,
Damon
PayPal Consumer Relations