Electrostatic positioning 1A

Here's a twist on this well-flogged subject: Bass vs. depth vs. midrange vs...How to restore the midrange balance when positioning speakers far off the front wall? The situation: when placed more than a few feet off the front wall the bass and depth are great (good news), but the vocal image becomes less palpable (ugh). Placement restrictions create only these two options. How do I restore the vocal presence that's there when the speakers are closer to the wall? Can we have it all?!
douglikesaudio
I had a similar situtation in a previous home. I built two wooden panels that were placed behind the speakers so that the reflection was shorter than the distance I had to have, due to other restrictions from the rear wall. I also made the panels able to be tilted slightly and found that tilting them up a bit gave the best soundstage. The wood panels were about the same size as the electrostatic panel. The whole set-up was aesthetically very ugly--which may not work for you--but it did bring the vocals back into focus.
If you are asking about Soundlab A-1 speakers, there are separate controls for bass, mid and highs that are adjustable from each other. Add to that, the placement of RPG panels and tube traps greatly increase the ability to adjust the tonal balance and imaging of all types of electrostatic speakers.

I know from my own experience, that Soundlab speakers are best set up with the slider button on the bottom, rather than a spike. This allows you to position to within one fourth inch, without help from all your friends. Once long term listening has determined the precise and exact location you are willing to live with, replace the slider buttons with the spike.
Through much trial and error, I found that I could obtain my desired tonal tweaking with electrostats by adjusting both toe-in and tilt. Abstract7's suggestion also affords the ability to play with different sound absorption material on the rear panel which can be very beneficial as well as fun. Other "room tune" devices can help as well. With electrostats, it truly is a labor of love. Good luck.
The one thing I found out on very early on was make sure
the distance from the rear wall is different from the side
walls. For my Acoustats in a room 20 X 30, the distance from the back wall is 4 feet(sometimes 6 feet or greater, depending on whether my wife is out of town, but definitely not on a long term basis for sure!!) and the side walls 5 feet(10 feet separation between speakers seems about right, 8 feet sounds reasonably good, less not so good, greater than 10 feet, the imaging seems to be more imprecise). I try for live end/ dead end room acoustics with tube traps, rugs,curtains, book shelves, brick wall,etc. Toe in varies with the music, but usually very, very small(<15 degrees, if at all). Hope this helps.
I have Quad ESL 63's, and have placed 2' x 2' RPG Omniffusor clones (my DIY design, using Styrofoam, ask for details if you want my instructions for them) raised on stands to be right behind the panels. They worked beautifully, but for tall electrostatics, maybe Argent Digital Lenses would work better. One way or another, I believe you're suffering from reflections of thatvery strong back wave, and could indeed "have it all" with enough effort. Good luck, and do get in touch if you want any DIY literature: I have it for Argent Room Lenses too.