ElectrostatsPlaner/Ribbon s Vs Cone driv

I have owned Proacs, B&W Nautilus, Theils and others but never planers. I auditioned ML Arieus but was not taken with the musicality and the other models too big for my room. No other dealers nearby to demo Maggies, etc.
I know the general differences of the two design concepts, but I am trying to determine if there is a smallish planer design that would give nearly all the satisfaction I am getting from my BW Nautilus 805's with REL Strata Sub. In particular I would love to gain the lifesize soundstage and midrange wonder but not feel lacking by the lesser performance in high and low frequencies. I have a Levinson 331 amp and AR LS22 preamp. thanks for any experienced suggestions.
128x128comchenry
"...I am trying to determine if there is a smallish planer design..."--don't know about you, but in my book the Maggie 1.6 is not "smallish". More, "tallish" and "thinnish". To find smaller speakers with planar drivers may be a bit of a trick. Small panels don't make much sound--they can't move as much air. Although, the Red Rose monitor was ok at CES--but it didn't have the holographic/planar mids you may want. (It only has a ribbon tweeter--only about an inch square). I've happily listened to Apogee hybrids for many years and in particular have enjoyed their lifesize soundstage and mids-to-highs performace. The Apogee is not as big from the front as the Maggie. What it makes up for by being smaller than the Maggie, it more than gives back in the ugly department! Anywho, smaller speakers probably won't satisfy your low-end desires. (Nothing prurient implied!) But Apogees on their own don't have much for bass. So--maybe mate the Apogees with the REL. That's a combo I think may be to your liking...
I just returned Nautilus 805's and 804's, both with the B&W 1000 woofer. I found I could not tolerate the metal tweeter in the new Nautilus' (these replaced B&W P-6's I've enjoyed for years. I have purchased ML Ascents (size isn't an issue). The Maggie 1.6 and REL woof is a great combination.
Doug, which Apogee hybrid do you have? I went from Stages to Centaur's (26" ribbon/8" woofer) due to a move/smaller listening room and found the bass to be pretty good. Actually, pretty damn good. Maybe it was my room. I subsequently went to ML CLS's in a much larger room -- bass was not as good as the Centaurs. Now I've added Kinergetics SW800 sub towers (5 ten inch drivers in each enclosure) -- this mini-Statement system just slays. I think the Apogee hybrids are a solid recommendation. Low price of entry, hard to beat the ribbons for upper mids and highs.
Thanks to all for responding. I have to pause for thought at Kenp's comment about not being able to tolerate the tweeter in the B&W Nautilus series. I have never heard a sweeter top end. Different strokes I guess, perhaps other compents in the chain are having an effect too.
If there is anyone who loves the Nautilus sound like I do and can tell me what I might be losing by going to the Maggie 1.6QR I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks, Chet
Jim, I made the same switch from Apogees to MLogans! I wish I had the room (and $) to go for the CLS/SW800 combo you have--man, am I one jealous cat! I heard your combo in the early 90's at a HiFi show, and it was fantastic. Now I run SL3s and like them for what they do--they are different from the Apogees. I used to run Centaurs. The bass is one area of big difference from one speaker to another. The Centaur has rich bass, while the SL3 is tight yet deeper. Kinda odd description, I know. In response to the original thread, the Centaur probably would be fine for all music on it's own. But since the thread says he already has a REL, I think he'd end up with a potent system. Jim--did you ever try to mate your Centaurs or Stages with a sub?