Talon Loudspeakers

Has anybody heard the Talon loudspeakers? Any thoughts? Especially the Talon Peregrine speakers ($6,000). Thanks.
128x128elb
Sorry, but I have had over 35 years of experience with audio gear, mostly SET amps. I know from experience that dynamic speakers do not work well with SET amps. I also can tell by your extreme bias towards the talons that you will not listen to fact or reason. Take a trip over to the SET forum at the Audioasylum. Tell them what you are doing with your SET amps and they will laugh you out of there. Like I said earlier, you will get sound but not the magic SETs can produce. Even your beloved talons can't break the laws of physics. I don't expect you to understand. You seem to quote the specs from the brochoure as if they were facts. 17Hz to 25Khz indeed! I bet the impedance curve and rated sensitivity are also bogus. Fred
he fred, if james & his buddies tink he's getting good sound w/set's on his talons, so be it. it's prolly wery nice. i tink, unless yuve heard *his* set-up, ewe can't make a judgment that it's not working. *everyone* knows the generalized limitations of set amps & dynamic-driver-speakers. i mean it's not like he's saying he goes skydiving every weekend w/o a parachute, & enjoys it! regards, doug
Sedond: (just in case your reading Fred I'll throw a few more thoughts your way in the third person!) A voice of reason! Thank you. How does Fred know the specs are bogus? Has Fred heard The bottlehead Paraglows? Has he really heard the Talons? Granted he may have 35 years of experience,but not with my setup. And it's not like I am some boob who fell of the turnip truck just yesterday. I have owned a ridiculous amount of stuff in the 30 some years I have played with audio. Basically from early teenager to adult. Yes SET's are new to me. I have been playing with them for just over a year now. But I can assure you that the bottlehead stuff is not typical SET and does in fact work remarkably well with the Talon's I wonder if Fred really even reads or thinks before he reacts. Reminds when my dad said you know son I used to walk 30 miles to school in the snow and you kids want your own car to drive. He is so biased based on his experience that he is not open to the possibility of anything but his own experience. Okay so I'm deluded and off my nut. But the truth of the matter is that I have not up to this point heard a system that I prefer to my own. Happy Listening, James W.
Hey James! Thanks for the response about SETs and the Talons. I am going to try an Art Audio Jota with them to see what happens. Not a exactly a three watter, but I am looking forward to the hearing the strengths of these type of amplifiers through the Talons. Your info is much appreciated.
You might want to consider the Bel Canto SET40. It is an 845 based SET amp with 37 wpc. The output tubes last about 8000 hours. I have one on order to audition. I have had good feedback from others using this amp. It will also give you the needed power for dynamcis and SPL's. I agree with Fred on this point. I had the Vonschweikert VR-6's. I had a 2A3 SET on them and it played well... but when I biamped and ran the MT module with the SET it then became magical. The VR-6's are rated at 96db efficient 1W1M. I would not expect a 3.5 watt amp to make the talons sing very well. It is also a very tough on the output tubes hen you drive them hard, they won't last long. The 845 tube will give you the bandwidth and power to handle the dynamic swings. My friend had the Jota and it is a fine sounding amp. It is quite expensive and you are limited to what brand output tubes you can use. Just pointing out another possible option. You can email me for more info... mike