Fellow Vandersteen Owners

Just purchased some 3A Signatures. Love the sound. Problem is the look and size. Have any of you guys modified the cabinets, you know, cut the dowls, removed the top, vaneered the rest, removed the sock, etc.? Is this a bad idea? I have acceptance issues from the sig. other. help me out guys! thanks, Mark.
marklivia
Whoa!!! I think you will change the WHOLE SOUND of the speaker if you take off the sock/frame and add your own enclosure. Thats a complete science in itself: the effects of the cabinet. The frame/fabric is an acoustically invisible cosmetic coverup. And yes, it will have NO resale value at all.
Mark-- Mg123's post above is right on, and I don't mean to downplay your ability as a carpenter or your friends speaker cabinet building ability. BUT, this speaker was specifically designed to have NO CABINET. If you do what you are proposing, you may end up with a usable speaker, but I'd bet almost anything that it would no longer sound like the 3A you paid for. Good Luck. Craig
Hi Mark. I agree with most Vandersteen Owners-Don't Do It! You may be better of with a different speaker than to cut-up and modify the 3A sigs. I know Vandersteen is coming out with a new Monitor Speaker, and I've been told it looks different than the standard line-up and even the 5's. Costs are 5,500 plus. By the time you purchase materials and add your labor etc to modify the 3a's, these new speakers may not costs much more. The 3a sigs currently still have good resale value. Has anybody seen these new monitors yet, they have been on display at various shows, maybe Vandersteen can send you an early picture, go ahead and call them direct, they are very helpful. Good Luck!