Fellow Vandersteen Owners

Just purchased some 3A Signatures. Love the sound. Problem is the look and size. Have any of you guys modified the cabinets, you know, cut the dowls, removed the top, vaneered the rest, removed the sock, etc.? Is this a bad idea? I have acceptance issues from the sig. other. help me out guys! thanks, Mark.
marklivia

Showing 2 responses by mg123

I suggest you actually phone Vandersteen Audio and ask Rick. I have called them 3 times in the last few years and always got to talk to Rick (or his son, I think). Just ask for technical support. Anyhow, when the model 3 was first introduced, Rick was showing it at a high-end shop in Palo Alto and I remember him telling a story about how the prototype did not have the frame and fabric, just the functional units and [really!] he said his wife complained about how ugly that was, so he designed the "open" frame/fabric to hide the stuff. I'll bet anything you can take that off! Call and ask them.
Whoa!!! I think you will change the WHOLE SOUND of the speaker if you take off the sock/frame and add your own enclosure. Thats a complete science in itself: the effects of the cabinet. The frame/fabric is an acoustically invisible cosmetic coverup. And yes, it will have NO resale value at all.