Dedicated CD Player Recommendation

Hi All,

Feel free to check out my virtual system to see my full system. In a nutshell, I've got an EAD CD-1000, Bryston BP-20, Bryston 4-NRB, and PMC LB-1 loudspeakers. I've got a small 9x9 room and listen to the PMCs nearfield. Last year, I added an inexpensive universal player, Pioneer 563a, and a turntable, Rega P-25, to the system. These, along with some aging ears, have exposed limitations with the CD-1000. Specifically, the treble glare is driving me nuts. The player has tons of detail along with articulate bass, but sounds a bit harsh with most female vocalists or strident recordings. I can throw the same disc into the Pioneer player and lose the glare. While it overall doesn't sound as good as the CD1000, it's a lot easier on my ears.

I've had a chance to audition a variety of players from Arcam, Jolida, Primare, Rega, and Simaudio. Of sub-$1200 players, the Jolida and Rega Planet had a nice smooth sound, but lacked the detail I've come to expect. At the higher price points, the Arcam CD-33 is very nice, but the Simaudio Equinox really grabbed my ears. I haven't brought it home for an audition yet. I would like to hear some other recommendations for players to look at new or used under $2500. I'd really like to hear from any other Bryston/PMC owners what players have great synergy in your system.

Thanks,
Erik
proggy
You might consider a used Sony 777es or Sony SCD-1 cdp. Both are excellent value for the money.

-IMO
I've got an Audio Research CD 2 and it also might just be what you're looking for. With your digital glare you also might consider an IC change with the correted ICs your music can be the magic you're seeking. I've got aged ears also and Robert @ Ridge Street Audio put synergy in spades into my system with his help by changing IC.
Thanks for the recommendations! I've got a dealer about an hour and a half away who carries Simaudio, Quad, Musical Fidelity, and Audio Aero. I'm going to check and see if I can hear all of these on the same system.

I had a chance to listen to the Audio Research CD3 at a local dealer, but thought it was out of my price range. It had a very smooth organic sound.

Regards,
Erik
Might also want to listen to the Ayre CX7e. The "E" players of recent vintage are a marked improvement over the original CX7. It really doesn't sound digital at all.
I would second Bigtee with the Ayre, I have about 100 hours on mine and it has improved steadily, and already posseses and excellent balance. Very refined and detailed without sounding etched. Gives you what is on the recording, nothing more or less. I also owned an Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP in the past, another great player that seems to make any system sound great, withness the number of manufacturers that use it for CES and other shows. It can make even a quickly set up system sound very smooth with great pace and soundstage. It has a little less sparkle than the Ayre, but sounds as close to vinyl as I have found without comparing the tubed players.