Should I pay a lot for a DAC?

How important is the DAC in a system? Is there going to be much difference between a $250 Adcom GDA-600 and a $700 Benchmark DAC1 (both used)?

Of course one could spend thousands but $450 is a big difference to me. What's your experience?
winchell
Thanks very much for the comments. I'll save and go for the better DAC. So far I've got a pair of Martin Logan reQuests and a Krell KSA-150. Looking to get a tube amp for the highs and it looks like a Benchmark DAC or one mentioned in this thread.
Again, I think Krell Man has nailed it. My Krell KRC-3 up for sale and is in sale pending status. I had this pre for six years and it is still in perfect condition and still one of the best pres I've owned. I recently replaced the KRC-3 with a Classe CP-65 which in my opinion the Classe is a more refined pre, but certainly does not embarass the KRC-3. And a perfect match for the Krell KSA-150, which I have a modded 150 in my system for six years. If Winchel modded his 150 with Blackgates, even if it's only in the power supply, IMHO he would not need a tube amp for the top end. As Krell Man eluded to, if you don't have Amp and pre right, what ever comes after really does not matter.