Wadia Owner - with or without preamp

Hi,
I was wondering what do most of you guys run w/ your 861se or the 270se/27ix dac? Straight to your amp/amps or to a preamp. Thanks
nickt
You will find no solution to this question on audiogon. People are split on this, with perhaps slightly more preferring the preamp. I run direct because the Wadia is my only source. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to preamps. I have no plans to go with a preamp, due to monetary factors. I decided to ditch the preamp and upgrade the CD player instead.

Rob
I ran mine for 2 years, Convinced on no preamp!!
I have since, just this pass week tried it with a Placett passive and now am thinking why didn't I try this 2 years ago. What a FRicking difference!!
If interested I can elaborate more. Email me if you like.
Regards Brian
I run the 27 direct also. However, if I had the choice I'd prefer an analog output stage with volume control. As has been mentioned, I don't like the idea of losing resolution when adjusting volume either.
I suspect that a lot of people who prefer to use a preamp with a Wadia are not operating the CD player at the upper range of its volume control. If you haven't set the internal switches that allow you to do this, you are not hearing the true capability of players like the 861. Also, some people might simply prefer the coloration that most preamps and additional cables add. The best advice is to simply try it both ways.
I'm going to jump in on the pre amp side of this debate. I have tried mines extensivley both ways. Call it a fondness for coloration or what ever. IMHO my Wadia sounds better through a pre amp. Which allows me to contour the music for my room. Also as you may know you don't get the full sound of a Wadia unless the volume is maxed out. So with a pre they recommend setting the volume to max, then using your pre to control the volume. In any event there are so many varibles that you have to decide for your self. Happy listening.
Woodman