My DVD player really heats up discs? ?

I just picked up a used DVP-S9000es and I have run into a concern that I wanted to ask about. Discs get very warm after extended playing. This is true with SACD/CD’s as well as DVDs however; DVD’s get down right hot by the end of a movie. I have open front and rear ventilation but a half inch on each side. Has anyone else experienced this with their Sony 9000 DVD players? Is this normal?
I never had this issue with my 5 year old Panasonic player.

Thanks
jer
My cousin & I both run Toshiba SD-9200's, I spoke with him earlier his dvd's get warm too. Jer, I honestly do not think it is dust related, so taking it out monthly to disassemble seems like a wasted effort.
Jer:
No cover will allow too much dust in unsuspected and difficult to reach places; I'd run a trial but doubt will be leaving permanently this way.
Might the closeness to the amp increase the temp at the players location? Maybe the player does work warmer than your previous Panasonic. What about leaving a movie playing completely with the amp off to see if this has a bearing to it?
What do you think?
I've a Sony 999ES, the dvd gets pretty warm after playing for 2/3 hrs, but no issues so far, it's probably normal.
I think I will try elevating the DVD player a little to give more airflow under the unit. Too much of a hassle taking off the case and blowing out the innards with compressed air all the time.

I do leave my computer case wide open and just take compressed air to the CPU, power supply and heatsinks every other week but I have easier access to the inside and the circuitry is pretty basic.

BTW: The 9000es sounds awesome. Movies look great once you adjust the myriad of video controls. Has been finicky on a couple of SACD hybrids, but eventually plays them.
Ellery911 - There is one chip under the head on the 963SA that gets very hot. A heat-shield mounted to the carriage will probably fix this. I intend to add this to my mods for the 963SA.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer