iPod to DAC Connection

I was disappointed that the fourth generation iPod announced this week did not have a digital output so that it could be hooked up to an DAC. I think it could provide near audiophile caliber output if you used the best AIFF or Apple Loseless processing options and a digital output. Now, I'm wondering if it is possible to have a digital output for it by somehow hooking up a cable to the iPod itself or the dock that would be Firewire or USB 2.0 at the iPod/dock end and S/PDIF at the other end to plug into a DAC. Anyone know if this is possible? Does such a cable exist, or maybe the digital bits coming out of a Firewire output are different from those going through a coaxial data cable? Any insights would be appreciated.
bruce_1
>>for $770 I can assemble a pretty good computer based digital system that allows me to put together my own playlists. Reactions?<<

I'm with you. I also have a system for serious listening, but I also need solutions for more casual listening. I have been searching for something that will provide convenience, while minimizing sonic compromise. The computer is the way to go. Plus, if you're married, your wife and family will love the convenience of being able to scroll through albums on your computer screen, making playlists, etc. And you will love the fact that they don't have to fool with your CD's in order to play music. If you have a party, you can let the guests scroll through and pick songs for the background music -- it is a great solution.

The problem with letting the guests scroll through and pick songs for the background music is... well... they seem to invariably gravitate to the most embarrassing aspects of your collection.

Incidentally, if you would like to accidentally maximize your guests' ability to access the worst of your collection, tag a bunch of albums with the genre "SH*T" and see what happens. You are then left with explaining why you actually own an Enya album (bad recommendation from friend) and a Nick Gilder album (coincidence of finding it in cheapo used bin at precisely the *one* time in forty years I actually felt a desire to hear "summer in the city"). Also been desperatly searching for a decent band with a name starting "AA" something to avoid ABBA (was a freebie... honest...) showing up at the head of the artist list. Be warned.
I think they should put sporty tubes on the 'pod as well - of course you are walking around and... OW! THAT'S HOT!
PocketDock combo is a device you attach to your iPod that gives it a firewire and USB out. With it, you can connect to a USB DAC. There are a few high-end USB dacs on the market, but I can't think of the names. Here's the url to the product page...

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pd_combo.html
If you go down the SendStation route, you should take a look at the WaveTerminal U24 which is a pro-audio USB device.

Provides Toslink, S/PDIF and 1/4" RCA outs and requires no power (gets it from the USB). Have one between my Mac and a Monarchy DIP/Channel Islands Audio DAC and it sounds very, very good - especially for $200 at B&H!

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=10&page=1