Esoteric DV-50: Tweaks, Up-sample settings, etc.

Hello All;
I would like to hear from DV-50 owners out there who have fine tuned their units with various powercords, isolation devices or stands, EMF/RFI tweeks, cables etc. Have you found an Up-sample setting that seems to work well, most of the time, with all discs? I have found that some older discs do not benifit from up-sampling. Are you using the single-ended or balanced outs?
I am currently using the XLR outs with HMS balanced cable, but the gain is super high.
What is the consensus on the ground wire hook-up?
Are most of you using it, and if so are you grounding to the pre-amp, amp or to the screw on the receptacle cover plate?
Leave the unit powered up all the time? Shut down occasionally?
I really appreciate, in advance, all of your input regrding these subjects.
Thanks; Tim
128x128soundlogic
I will be getting my DV-50 delivered any day. Would be interested in any feedback on present and past owners.
Thinking of useing either my Virtual Dynamics Nite cord or my BMI Shark cord.
I have heard running a ground wire from the DV-50 to either a ground on your amp or straight to the wall outlet ground makes a signifigant improvement in sound. Will be running balanced Purist Venustas cables to my Placette passive preamp(have to use XLR-RCA adapters for the preamp).
As with my past Sources, I will keep the DV-50 powered up 24/7.
Disclaimer: I am a dealer who sells Esoteric and Cardas.

I've found that the maximum upsampling seems to work the best although one of my customers reports that he prefers the 705 setting (he's one of them there NOS tube guys if this is any indication).

I've had good results with the Cardas Golden Reference power cord and the PS Audio Statement. The GC seems to bring out the midrange more but the PS is a bit more linear. The aftermarket power cords do make a major improvment. One of my customers says he has had great results using the JPS digital AC.

I don't ground mine but do leave it on 24/7. I did notice that this player became much better after 200 hours of playing a break in disk on repeat. A much larger difference than usual with cd players. I don't notice a big difference between balanced and single ended. The player does seem to benefit from top shelf cabling.
Hi. My experience has been that on larger works the R-DOT plus FIR works best, but om smaller groups and especially solo instruments R-DOT alone is preferable--less bass, more lower midrange clarity. I don't leave it on all the time. After an hour warmup it seems just as good. I found balanced connection was far superior to single-ended. HMS Gran Finale balanced is marvelous with the unit, but Purist Dominus Rev. B is even better (although more than twice as expensive). Have only used an Absolute power cord on it so can't comment about various ones, but I'm not a big power cord believer for source components and preamps--unlike interconnects, I find the differences between them change the sound of the unit, but don't necessarily improve it. (Difference seems to be most helpful on power amps, however--there I have found a significant improvement with expensive cords.) Unit improves noticeably up to 200 hours. Great player, and since I also have a Classe Omega CD/SACD player and a dCS Purcell and Elgar, that's saying a lot. Have also found the Esoteric benefits from isolation; I have it resting on a Signal Guard II isolation platform, spiked feet resting in four Aurios Pros. The Esoteric is really a hell of a bargain.
I also have found the DV-50 to be an excellent value, considering everything it does. As to interconnects, I started with Cardas Golden Reference, but found the upper mids too bright. I have had the best results with Nirvana SX Ltd. balanced cables. The JPS digital AC adds more detail without edge, and the DV50 is supported well on the Signal Guard II isolation platform. However, I do not use cones under the signal guard. It is a remarkable player, truthful, but not fatiguing.