Hours sitting around just listening to music?

This is just a perception, but the folks I have met online who are audio/video enthusiasts (I think audiophile is such a pretentious term!) seem to spend more time buying and selling, posting on boards, reading reviews about what others think, and I never read anything about folks sitting in their "sweetspot" for hours listening to their favorite toons. Oh, I know folks who listen while they are lifting weights, reading, or doing something else. Seems to me if you are moving around or not concentrating, there is a whole lot of money being spent on pride alone.
quicke
I work long hours in the warm months and am lucky to hear my system on the weekend. In the winter I am home much of January-April. During these cold months I am warmed by music almost nonstop during awake hours. As I type this Dire Straits Love Over Gold is playing in the background. I usually sit in the sweet spot when one of my favorites cues up or in the evening enjoying a beer or 2. As far as money wasted when not concentrating, who cares. It's a hobby so waste some money and enjoy however you want!
I read reviews and posts for the same reason I read anything, Interest.

I post to share some experiences and advice that often cost me significant dollars to gain.

But I am never on a computer on Friday and Saturday evenings. I have a dedicated listening room and I go down into it, let the tubes warm up, wait I am not finished, get the turntable ready, clean the records, wait, pick out some SACDs, open the wine, hit the sweet spot, and let the Logans sing.

Then on Monday morning at work, awww, time to hit the Gon

Happy Listening.
Rich:

I have plenty of toys, so I'm not being critical of people for spending money. As Holzhauer said, "It's a hobby... enjoy...!"

It was just an observation. Over the holidays I did a lot of internet reading with regard to audio equipment. Granted the topics are generally equipment related, I just thought there was a scarcity of discussion regarding listening habits.

As I said, it's just a perception, but I think there is a whole lot of energy exerted on the non-listening aspects of this hobby. It's similar in photography as well. More buying/selling the latest and greatest lenses than wondering on the trail shooting and creating.

Back to audio, although I do believe there are differences between the sounds that come through amps and processors and even IC's (although I also think there is a lot of snake-oil and pride-of-ownership issues there too), I think they can be subtle and definitely less discernable depending on room make up, listening position, etc. When you really have to concentrate to hear minute differences that cost significant dollars to achieve, it seems... like overkill. Hey, I don't begrudge someone for liking expensive things.

BTW, I try and steal 30-45 minutes 2 to 3 times a week in my "media" room. (A single malt may not be too far away, either.) My dogs aren't allowed in the room and my wife doesn't like jazz all that much, or the high volume, for that matter, so I feel a bit guilty not spending time with the family.
I try to spend at least one evening each weekend listening to music in the sweet spot in my dedicated listening room. My listening sessions generally go from 8 or 9pm until 3 to 5 am. Even with that I never have the time to play all the music I had planned to listen to for the evening.
Being in the heavy construction business, my work takes-up an average of 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Sunday is laundry, grocery shopping, and clean the house day, but I usually manage to spend 2 to 4 hours of enjoyment that evening (Bombay & tonic), and a couple more during the week.

Worth every penny, just like the divorce.

Dave