volume setting for ipod mini hooked to integrated

i have the ipod mini hooked to mambo integrated, how high do i set the level on the ipod and on the amp. if i have the volume on ipod way down i have to crank the amp, if other way around i dont have to turn up amp too high. what is going to give the best sound? thanks for your help.
holla
I've heard that you don't want to set the iPod above 60-70% - potential significant distortion above that point.
Um, what sounds best to you???

In general, you don't want to overdrive either iPod or amp, so I'd start somewhere in the middle, then experiment raising one or the other. There's probably a good-sized range where it doesn't really matter, and as long as you're in that range you're ok.

But your own ears are your best judge on something like this. Trust 'em.
holla,
Buy an ipod dock so you can bypass the volume control. That's the first step towards better sound from your device.
whe you put the ipod in the ipod base and connect the headphone jack to the base, it outputs a "line level" signal which is what you want. then you dont have to worry about the volume setting
thx for all of your responses! so i would just put the ipod into the base, then connect the base with the amp by the rca's? i dont understand connecting the headphone jack to the base though. all my listening while at home will be through the amp and speakers not headphones. If i get the base is it a big step up in sound quality? again thank you all this helps me! ps how much does the base cost?