Not happy with Krell SACD

I have listened to about 25 cd's and a limited amount of SACD's and I am not satisfied with the sound of the Krell SACD Standard. For whatever reason it is far too bright for my ears. It is actually fatiguing at times and I do not want to listen for more than a few minutes. Has anyone found this to be true or have another opinion? Do you have any suggestions?
Dr John
drjohn
Even after the player is well broken in, be SURE you warm it up before each session, or just leave it on. Somebody above already mentioned this but its very important. The player will not operate optimally until the temperature of all working parts is stable.

If you still dont like it then its time to look into other options.
If someone hasnt said it already, i would suggest putting a cd or sacd disc in it and putting it on repeat for a few days. You dont have to have the system playing, just have it hooked up to a preamp. I did this with a Krell 280 cd a couple of years ago. Right out of the box, it sounded much much worse (hard and grating) than the inexpensive Denon dvd player i was using before. After letting it run on repeat for a few days, it was sounding much better.

RB
You could run a radio signal through at low level and not put unecessary mileage on the transport. Also I leave my main amps on all the time. If they are not in an enclosed area or have good ventilation. This really works for me.
I am a Krell user since their inception, however; did not buy their SACD, because of the build quality ie. the transport draw. That said, at least two of my audiophile friends own the unit and love it. As noted in the above posts, the krell must be run in (at least 200 hours), you must experiment with several interconnects and power cords and leave the unit on for at least an hour before listening to it. Also try software that originated in DSD stream, rather than the 40 year old remastered crap.
I have had a really positve experience with the Krell. It takes forever to burn in and needs to be left on standby always. Do you have siver cables? They are bright>