New Audiomeca Mephisto 2 X cd player

Since I own the audiomeca Mephisto 2 transport and the Enkianthus DAC. I was wondering if there is a significant upgrade in sound with any of the newer versions
128x128snook2
"Better" Snook? I don't know about better. But from a theoretical and analytical design approach, a two box solution may have benefits over a one box. No matter how good your transport is, whether it be a transport or player, or, a top loader vs. front loader, it will generate mechanical vibrations. This condition is not always the fault of the transport itself.

Many times in the actual CD, the metallic wafer "sandwiched" between the plastic substrate, is not held to tight tolerances relative to each other. I am speaking in terms of concentricity. The metal portion in essence becomes an "eccentric". The results are an out of balance condition very similar to having a tire out of balance on your car.

This can be a very challenging condition to ANY type of transport mechanism. The major problem being transfer of transport vibration into the unit's chassis and ultimately, D/A-A/D circuit. Crystal oscillators (time clocks) in the DSP circuits, HATE externally induced vibrations. "JITTER". Audio designers focus heavily on addressing this problem. I personally feel the ultimate solution is two box. Needless to say, the transport can't vibrate what's not there. Bad enough you're already battling airborn and structure born vibrations in the listening environment.

Although, the two box can also be a double edged sword if the interconnect between the transport and D/A isn't up to snuff. Impedance level mismatches can, and will induce jitter. Fortunately, the Audiomeca gear provides true balanced connectors for digital throughput. In the case of 75 ohm connection (RCA), it is SO important to have a TRUE 75 ohm digital cable W/ TRUE 75 ohm connectors.

In regards to the Audiomeca "X" series updates, both the new Mephisto and the Enkianthus incorporate Anagram's/Analog Devices latest 24/192 Sharc upsampling based technology. You will absolutely hear a difference in sound quality, detail etc, between the newer "X" and the older gear.

One box vs. two box? Let your ears be your guide. But, I will almost bet you'll find the Audiomeca two box to be a little quieter, a little more detailed, with a much cleaner bottom end. Let us know what you find.
Hello Buscis2,

What is the best way you have found to isolate the separates from floor and airborn vibrations? Have you found any good methods?

Thanks.
Avnut

Though not asked (and I hope you don't mind) I have the ekianthus and mephisto II on a custom built rack (1" mdf with sandfilled plinthes). I was amazed at the improvement of isolating the transport. I have tried the darumas but settled on the rollerblocks and svelte shelf and think it is probably better (but for the dollars darumas were quite acceptable). I did not find a big difference with the dac. Any questions drop me a note

gary
Hi Avnut, I use an old fashioned method called "Nothing". Well, not exactly nothing. I always revert back to the common theory that vibrations will transfer from lower mass to higher mass. The cabinet which contains my equipment is constructed from solid teakwood. The complete cabinet weighs in at about 200lbs. empty. There is about 60lbs of turntable on the top surface and approx. an additional 100lbs of other gear weighing the thing down.

The cabinet sits low to the ground behind an overstuffed couch and behind the dispersion range of the speakers. The walls of my listening room are 5/8" sheetrock and are insulated using Owens-Corning #440 sound deadening insulation.

The Audiomeca gear, as you already know uses a three point support. The rear support being a cone type support that drains vibration from the chassis. Quite frankly, it works. The cumulative effect of all the aforementioned factors tend to help hold vibrations to a minimum.

Are there methods far superior to what I'm already using? Yes! But, coming from an engineering background I still subscribe to the theory; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also truly feel that you can reach a point where you are simply draining too much from the chassis creating a "lean, dry" sound.

The system has a wonderful, smooth, analog kind of sound that I would prefer to leave alone. I can agree that different types of vibration control will have an effect on the sound of the system, for better or worse.