Upgrade Path: CDP or Preamp

Howdy,
I'm a little perplexed. I've got the upgrade bug and I'm not sure how to proceed. I would like to augment my system by replacing either the CDP or the preamp. I'm not sure which one will improve the system's sound the most and give me the best sonic improvement for my money. I, of course, can replace one then the other, but which one should I replace first? For auguments sake my budget is around 1000 bucks for either component. I love jazz and of course a variety of current and classic rock. I mostly listen to cd's but I do have a turntable and a bunch of albums (these are less convenient to use since they've been relegated to the basement). I also use the tuner quite a bit for backround listening (the tuner in my preamp is poor, but I have a classic Mitsubishi analog tuner in another system I would use when I replaced the preamp). Overall the sound is good, minus the tuner. I know it can be better. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance for your responses.

My system:
Denon DCM 370 changer sitting on a set of Vibrapods
Music Hall MMF 7 TT w/ Goldring Eroica Cartridge
Creek OBH 8SE MM phono preamp
B&K PT3 preamp/tuner
Odyssey Stratos amp w/ cap upgrade
B&W CDM 9NT's
Van Den Hul D102 III IC's connecting cdp to pre to amp
Monster something or other connecting phono pre to preamp
Monster 12 gauge speaker wire.
hammergjh
Something to think about would be a cd with a volume control and giving up on lp for a while (assuming you are not listening to them).

You could get a used resolution audio cd 50 or 55 for around $1000, with analog volume. When you get the cash you could use it into the preamp.

Short of that I vote for a better pre, adcom 750 or acurus R11 maybe? or if you don't need remote the odyssey tempest, or a morrison audio elad (world class crazy good for the price ~$800)

What you really need is a pre with a built in DAC to improve the cd sound but analog voulume control and 2 analog sources....

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/Model33.htm

Could work for you.

Nik
I agree that the CDP is the thing to change first. Changers are sonic compromises in my experience. The precision of the transport is hard to maintain when joined to a changer mechanism. This means the correction circuits work extra hard in a changer, with consequences for power management and more.

Most changer buyers are not interested in paying a lot for mechanical integrity. The high end changer is a hard disk system : Linn, etc.

The Music Hall 25 ( a Shanling ) or the new Shanling CD-S100 II would be fun to listen to in your price range. I don't know the Jolida but a lot of people like it.

Once you've gotten used to your new source, continue the upgrades downstream--so the preamp is next in line. Then, if you get itchy and need to change something while you look for an amp, you could try a new IC between CDP and preamp... at least, that's how I would shop for cables. ( I would never try to stabilize a system's sound with cables until I was sure the major components were what I wanted. )

Have fun !
Sorry to be persistent, but I went through your same scenario years ago...and tried players (after turntables from the decade prior) and preamps in my system.... you may be very suprised what you find....

A good preamp will create a soundstage, enhance harmonic texture, present more detail (hopefully in a musical and seductive way) and on and on to make your system more enjoyable. I agree with one poster's comment, your CDP is adequate. The truth is you could pick up a used CJpv12 of Audible Illusions 3 line stage for 850 and decent used player for 400 (choices abound) to make a grand total of 1250 for INCREDIBLE improvement.

The speakers also are significant. I became a MAJOR tinkerer after I got the preamp and realized the stuff I was missing, immediately upgrading my other items in my then budget speakers...with a little help from Madisound, etc...

Finally, as for the direct cd to amp idea...I did that as well with a Sony ES player...forget it...the volume is in the digital domain and this comes with caveats, specifically the truncating of bits at lower volumes......until full gain and bits are realized...

Also, careful amp and CDP matching are required for this idea...your amps are your strong point, your preamp and CDP are fine, but not nearly in the same league....

Borrow a used tube preamp from a friend, etc...(not vintage unit, but a modern one) and see what you think. Do the same for the CD player. I did, and that's how I came to my conclusions...incidentally, since beginning this process I have upgraded everything till about a year+ ago and have changed NOTHING. The preamp, is still the same.

Sorry to be too opionated.
Tobias is right about the pre amp. It needs to go too. However, the tubed Jolida will do wonders with your overall sound. And it may be the last cdp you will need to buy. Because it works it's magic with tubes, you needn't rush out to get an old tube pre-amp.

The first time I plugged a Jolida cdp (old 601) in place of my Sony ES changer, I was running it through Bryston.4b and a B&K amp. The transformation was miraculous.

I have changed the pre-amp, amp, and speakers several times since then. I still have a Jolida cdp, though.