Meitner DCC2

I have asked this question in another thread but would appreciate more feedback if any.

That CDSD-DCC2 is great is not much in doubt. My question is with regards to DCC2's pre-map funcationality and specifically its quality.

Would u recommend hooking it up directly to power amps, thus suing its pre-amp funcationality, or by passing and thus using a separate quality pre-amp? If so any in particular? I have Linn Klimaxx 500 Monoblocks.
henryhk
Lugnut, Thanks for sharing your experience with the Emm gear. I was wondering if your friend is using the Philips 1000 or the new EMM transport. Also what other cables did you try? I was thinking that if He's using the Philips with the silver cables that it might have been on the bright side as compared to some good copper cables.

Thanks, Frank
Frank,

He is using the modified Philips 1000 but has the new Meitner transport coming soon. I'm certain that Steve wouldn't mind you contacting him directly about exactly which other cables and interconnects we tried. I'd hate to mis-speak about such in this thread. His Audiogon username is Vetterone. You may wish to check out his virtual system too as the room is really something. Regarding the silver cables, I have been very surprised at the lack of any audible edge when using the Ridge Street's. The low end has much more body than with anything else I've listened to. The highs just go on and on without any glare. Even my midfi solid state system responded well to the silvers.

I don't want to speak for Steve but I believe even the Merlins are supposed to sound best with copper but in our auditioning that wasn't the case at all.

We didn't speak much last night because, mainly I guess, I was speechless. Steve had remarked that the harmonica on one of Neil Young's songs from "On The Beach" was a little harsh. I know this material very, very well and assured him that the same edge was apparent with my analog source. I'm sure that the occassional note like that is a studio phenomenon recorded to the media and honestly transferred through the components.

Don't take my comment about my midfi system too much to heart and assume I'm not qualified to make these types of judgments. I consider my system to be very good, just not in the same league with Steve's. I've been in this hobby for over 35 years and use live music as my benchmark for evaluation.

I'm of the understanding that the new transport will probably kick the performance up a notch. Plus, knowing Steve as I do he will likely try other cables and interconnects in an attempt to make the most out of this spectacular system. If the Ridge Street cables are bettered I will post the results, for what that may be worth. It's just my opinion and others may not agree. At this point the differences are very subtle but still very audible. For sure, if a generic CD from a long time ago can sound so good to me then bright isn't happening, IMNSHO.

Again, I'm very glad for all you owners of the EMM labs gear. It's a home run. I can only hope that there is a trickle down effect some day for those of us on a lesser budget. I'm missing out on a lot of newer music by only spinning vinyl.
Hi Frank, I'm the guy that is the lucky owner of the system Lugnut is describing in his post. I have tried so many cables I own a cable burner,lol. Transparent and Harmonic Tech speaker cables were the last two SC's to be used. Both, of course are copper. IMHO, there is No brightness in my system, even with the MSEs, now that the Merlin MXs have their 200 hours of burn in time. I believe I get most of whatever the recording has to offer. If the recording is not spot on...we hear the results. If the recording studio has a problem, we will hear that too. But when the musicians get it right and the engineer(s) don't compress the hell out of the dynamics,well, who needs drugs to get high? I would not have it any other way. Most aspects of the music improve when the MSE cables are inserted into my system. It is very easy to hear the change. It was almost as big as putting the Supratek back into the system instead of using the dcc2's preamp. The Meitner gear delivers so much information that the cables have become even more important than ever. We will be doing a comparison of the dac 6e vs the dcc2 using the Supratek soon. I also have a short list of cables I want to audition. Can't wait!

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon

Steve
Steve, I have the Merlin VSM-MMs; what other ancilliary gear (amps/pre digital/vinyl) are you currently using or used before the Meitner? The merlins are incredible. How is the soundstage w/ the meitner. I know the resolution is incredible; I've heard it said by a few that the meitner is somewhat dry/lean in the midbass sounding. Just wondering your thoughts, as I've never heard it. I'm eagerly awaiting your dac6 v. dac 2 reviews.

Jason