msb problems?

I have a link 3 and just purchased the 24 bit upsample I was very satisfied, I have a pair of Aerius speakers so I hear any and all changes but this one was dramatic, then all the sound improvements went away I sent the unit back to msb for repair and they found nothing wrong with it and sent it back, yes sound does come though it but there is no diff from listening to my cheap sony cd player buy itself,I did hook it up to other systems of my friends with the same results,and help? The people at msb have ears but cannot hear and I now have a dac that is usless to me after spending $700 on it, right now I am too upset to even talk to the people at msb.Help!
128x128happynick
I had many problems with MSB Technology after Mark S. Brassfield left that firm.My transport and dac had to be returned several times and they became difficult to deal with.I recommend parting with that unit and consider it an expensive lesson.It's too bad that so many audio companies don't give a hoot after they have taken your money.This problem seems to occur more often in the "golden age" of audio.Sorry to hear of your misfortune.If I can be of assistance in the future,please don't hesitate.Regards,Tom.
Thanks Tom as I have a bid on another link 3 which is moded by stan warren on ebay I see if I can back out of it for now ,what dac do you recommend?
This is a tough one since you're dealing with the subjective aspect of your DAC - quantifying the sonic differences. I've had the opposite experience with MSB, in that they've always gone the extra mile. They've never charged me to inspect my components whenever I've sent it to them, nor to ship it back to me. And I'm not the original owner! Quite a different story with other high-end manufacturers, who will charge high $$$ to take anything in for inspection.

I had the Nelson Link III, which I believe was physically identical to yours. Is it possible that one of the toggle switches may have been moved?

Have you double checked that the jumpers inside are secure?

Have you tried removing the upsampling module to see (or hear) if there's a difference? It could be that your ears have become refined and accustomed to the sound and are no longer impressed with the sonic improvements at hand... Hence, you may have the 'upgrade' bug.

Are you using the same source material (i.e. CD's)? Some music is better suited to reveal improvements you may have gained than others.

In short, it's a tricky thing... DACs just don't go bad the way you describe. If a circuit or board has gone bad or failed, you would most likely get no sound at all, or, maybe, some electronic artifact, like a hum or buzzing, etc.. But not, go from inspiring to uninpsiring sound. My guess is that your upgrade module 'might' be the culprit. See if they won't replace it for you if for nothing else than for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Hector