24/96 vs 24/192 DAC

What is the main purpose between these 2? Is it (24/192) for sacd/hdcd/dvd-a play back - better sampling rate? Please explain in plain terms, as I am a tech newbie. I was going to buy either an Arcam cd72 or a Jolida 100 but found out that they both are 24/96. So is it better to get something with 24/192 DAC since it is newer/better technology? Please help!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance
jeanluc07
I will likely be castigated for this, but after listening to upsampling to 24/96 and 24/192 on a dCS Purcell, I believe it is primarily marketing hype. I believe that the current DVD-V and DVD-A standard is 24/96 (others please correct me if I'm wrong), and I hear no real significant differences to my ears that I can consistently identify between the two sampling rates, as opposed to my clearly hearing the difference between redbook CD and upsampled CDs or true 24/96 discs. None of these sampling rates has anything to do with SACD; that's a different animal. I think you can buy true 24 bit/96khz sampling DACs without giving anything up. Note, though, that if you're playing redbook CDs on the units, the DACs are only at best upsampling to 24/96 (assuming that they do upsample); you won't get true 24 bit resolution from a CD, and you won't be able to play SACDs or, unless these are DVD or DVD-A players you're referring to, DVD-A or DAD discs on them. Just my $.02.
thanks Rcprince. I am more confuse as ever. please correct me as I am a tech newbie:
redbook cds - regular cds as we call them, sample @ 96khz
sacd - superaudio cd, sample @ 192khz??? can only play in sacd player or universal player
dvd-a - dvd audio format sample @ 96khz??? can only play in dvd-a player or universal player
HDCD - ?????

Or are the cd formats and the upsampling rate are indepentent of each other????? thanks
redbook cd's - 16 bit, 44.1 khz
SACD - 1 bit, ~ 2.9 Mhz (can't remember sampling rate
exactly, dependent on frequency?)
DVD-A - varies, max 24 bit, 192 khz
HDCD - 20 bit, 44.1 khz?

All use PCM stream except SACD which is DSD