What is Redbook?

It's been a few years since I visited Audiogon. It certainly has grown. I'm back because of my curiosity about the new formats. I am using an Arcam 250 transport with Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 and DTI Pro. I listen to and prefer vinyl but I seem to be missing some information on digital. Would some one take a minute and fill me in on this Redbook? Thanks Ron
r2d2f2
TJ...EXCELLENT explanations. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ron...One of the MOST common questions my customers ask me is why I keep saying Redbook when referring to CDs (I can usually tell they are about to ask me when I see the blank stare on their face) ;-) So don't feel bad, many folks that have been involved in this hobby a LONG time don't know what Redbook means or where the term came from. Also, you will find that digital has come a LONG way in the few years you have been away. In fact, there are some CD players available now that would make you believe you were listening to analog (in a blind listening test even). Of course, I am excluding the pops and other noises that would give away the analog rig ;-)

Welcome back!

Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio
This is the second thread recently where I've seen someone say HDCD has 20-bit resolution. This is nonsense. HDCD may be able to cram an extra fraction of a bit's worth of information onto a disk, but that's about the limit (and even that may be stretching it).
Bomarc...Where did you read, see, hear that info? Based on every HDCD article I have ever read, HDCD is indeed a 20-bit binary word length recording. Please correct me if I am wrong (I would appreciate a source so I could check it out myself).

Thanks and Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio
Thank you, one and all. That was easy.

I am also looking for a pr. of inexpensive speakers for my son and have spent untold hours brousing the speaker forums.
What a wealth of knowledge to be found here, not only in the positive statements but in the dissenting comments also.
I do not understand all the technical points but it's not difficult to get the gist of most threads. I usually learn something.

One other question...would something like a Sony SCD C555ES blow my old Arcam,AudioAlchemy out of the water?

Thanks to Audiogon also, an excellent gathering spot for all the audio wackos.(self inclusive) Ron
No, but if it's truly in water you're in trouble!
Try to focus on the major improvement that speakers matched to your room will make before you start CDP wars. Have fun.