Beware: Fraudulent Ads from Zero Feedback guys

I wish to share my experience of just two days ago (June 16, 2013) concerning 3 different audiogon ads placed by a new zero feedback member from UK which turned out to be 3 bogus sales and on which Audiogon acted very swiftly after my complaint and had them delisted.

The first ad was for a Jorma Prime power cord (retailing some $6,000) advertised for only $1,000 almost brand new, with a certain serial no, and Jorma suitcase. Four photos were inserted in the ad including one showing very clearly the serial number and the jorma carry case. I got extremely interested in it and sent the seller a request through Audiogon system to provide the fol: (a) whether he was the original owner and if so a copy of his original invoice; (b) a fresh photo of the cables dated that very day and taken from a different angle from the photos already inserted; (c) his name, address and tel no of so that i could phone him to verify. He never replied.

I also noted, after some research on internet, that the post code he gave (GU11 5RT) doesn't exist in UK. Finally, through my own research on Jorma ads on the internet, I discovered that the same cables with the same serial no and the same set of photos were simultaneously put on sale by a well respected dutch based dealer on the german audio market (www.audiomarkt.de) at three times the price advertised on Audiogon by the so-called UK based guy.

I immediately reported the matter to Audiogon who, I must say, very quickly got back to me and requested that I end all correspondence with that seller and that the Audiogon fraud investigation team were already in action. A few minutes later, I received another message from Audiogon that the ad had been suspended.

The worrying thing is that along with the Jorma Prime ad, the guy had 2 other ads (all almost brand new products, boxed and with photos looking as good as new) at ridiculously low prices. One of these was for a Naim DAC & Power supply, which he had advertised for around $1,000 compared to over $5,000 new, and a similar one was sold on Audiogon for $3,000 only a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately i noted with sadness that the UK based guy suceeded in selling his bogus Naim item within minutes of putting up his ads as I could read on the add "Listing Expired - Item Sold". So a fellow member must have fallen into the trap. I can only hope that Audiogon and his paypal (if he used it) act swiftly to prevent that fellow member losing his hard earned cash.

To sum it all, we need to be extremely cautious when dealing with zero feedback advertisers (precaution is always better than cure), be extremely suspicious of ridiculously low prices advertised for high end products, do not hesistate to ask the seller for more info, tel no etc.., do some research on internet concerning the product advertised and if still in doubt, seek Audiogon's help.

A word to the wise..
lall
I would never deal with zero or low feedback unless they send the item to me and I pay when I receive it or pick up in person.

Didn't we all start with zero feedback?
I request a phone number and call to chat for two minutes.
I have also requested a copy of the sellers Drivers Licence for big ticket items. Nothing can stop a dedicated professional scammer, but let's make it a little harder for them. Never send Western Union too.

And if somone pays with Pay Pal and does a pick up, you can be screwed. Paypal requires sellers ship to confirmed address and have an internet verifiable tracking number, if not they will reverese the payment.
I agree with Weiserb, I want to see a drivers license. And address should match. That is not too much to ask for an expensive transaction.