Volume Control?

Hopefully someone could help me with my dilema. I just want a single source (SACD-Player) to my amp, I don't want to spend 10 of thousands of dollars on a quality preamp. I need just something with a volume control to control the CD-Player's output, but have to be transparent and cost effective. I heard of Placette, are they any good? Any other advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thank You
s2000turbo
Evidently you don't have your SACD player yet. Why ask about an external volume control until you know whether your SACD player will have one? But if you end up without one in your player, and don't want to spend as much as a Placette would cost--I've never heard one but still believe they must be very good--Goldpoint sells an SA-3 passive built around Elma ladder stepped attenuators, much better than any series stepped attenuator (uncontroversial) and arguably better than potentiometers, except maybe for super expensive ones. The SA-3 is $389 assembled and $309, I believe, as a kit. It can be seen at www.goldpt.com. You won't do better at roughly that price, IMHO. A lot of passives at around that price compromise quality at one point or another, but this one is high quality all through. I did see a used Placette on Audiogon recently--you might try a Search.
Actually, I'm a happy owner of a Placette RVC, but I just ordered that Bent Audio TVC kit (with the silver transformer upgrade). I hope, it'll improve dynamics and PRAT a little while maintaining that wonderful transparency and musicality of the Placette.
I've had excellent results running a Reference Line passive pre. I have the Preeminence One A, a true dual mono passive with two attenuators. Unforunately, Reference Line is out of business, but there's not much to fail in a passive. I picked mine up used for a song, 1/5 of retail.