BMG CD's ARE worse

I have seen this question somewhere before so when I got Rush's "2112" on both BMG and not I compared the two.

Both CD's say "Anthem Records", "Mercury" and "Polygram" but the BMG version says "This compilation @1990 PolyGram" "mfd. for BMG Direct, 6550 East 30th St., Induanapolis, IN 46219" and the non-BMG CD just says 1976 Mercury Records.

The BMG version sounded much less dynamic. The sound was compressed and flat. To prove my ears were not imagining things I looked at the playback level meter on my CDR-500 and the non-BMG version was showing higher peaks. The BMG version was showing a virtually constant playback level on the same part of the opening track.

Note this is not just a recording at a lower playback level but the actual dynamic peaks are showing to be less on the BMG disc. BMG is cheaper, looks like you get what you pay for.
cdc
This is for everyone. I used to be in the music business and I am an audiophile ever since my old man pass down his open reel machine. Generally, those discs made in Germany sound muddled. British recordings have higher frequency but the bass is flat. American pressings and Japanese pressings sound the best. All my discs are either made in the United States or in Japan. Japanese discs have extended frequency nad clarity but some people might find it too cold sounding. American discs are definitely warmer sounding. Compilations and Best of discs sound really bad. You could buy a Vanilla Ice CD, his-best-of and a compilation featuring one of his song and make a comparison.

Of course the mastering process is important but all things being equal, the American and Japanese does sound much clearer. Perhaps, one of you could find the latest release by Celion Dion and get a American print, a British print, a German print and a Japanese release of the same CD and make a comparison.
CDC...From your last post, it sounds like it is a re-mix of some kind. The tests I mention are of identical CDs made from the same digital master (after mixing). Some are made for record stores, and others are made separately, possibly in a different factory, for CD clubs.
they have a manufacturing rights and their pressing quality is worse of the worst. they're only designed to be in pocket or car player.
Hi Cdc...

Any album had to be remastered before it was put on CD, because it had to be transferred from analog to digital (at least once). There's no way that album was digitally remastered in 1976. Both versions could have used the original master tapes...that has nothing to do with digital remastering. I think the question is, were both versions pressed from the same digital masters? Based on your description, it sounds like one of them was probably the original digital master for the original CD release (from the mid-late 80s) and the other was a newer (or different) digital remaster from 1990.

Remastering isn't always a good thing...it depends on how well the first one was done, how well the second was done, the equipment used in both cases, etc. The 1990 version was probably a remaster done by the label. BMG may have produced the copies and released them, but they probably had nothing to do with the remastering. Companies like BMG usually get a license to produce copies with their names on them, but they get the masters from the labels...they don't make them themselves.

And yes...I do think you're hearing the differences you described. Almost all CDs are mastered "louder" these days, which usually means more compression. Mainstream pop/rock is usally the worst, but almost all recordings are probably compressed to some extent in the mastering process...even if it's very little. The amount it affects the recording and dynamics depends on the talent of the person doing the mastering. The digital mastering equipment has improved technically and a new remaster *should* sound better than an old 80s master, but there are many that are compressed WAY too much. Excess compression squashes the loudest signals and raises the volume on the quiter signals, so it will bring up the volume level of the background details (more breath on vocals, more decay on instruments, more background or room noise, etc), but dynamics suffer. That's why so many CDs become fatiguing. It sounds like that very of 2112 suffers from bad mastering, but it probably doesn't have anything to do with BMG.
Cdc your info about the non BMG disc is confusing-1976 is the year the record was recorded-CD's weren't issued till 1984-I do suspect the non-BMG disc is from the Rush Remasters series however it could easily be another earlier issue.
The Rush Remaster series was issued late 90's (I think)in the UK they are easily recognisable since they are marked on the front perspex panel Rush Remasters.