Is there a length limit for Turntable cables?

I need to move my turntable to a more vibration-free location; or isolate it better from floor vibrations. Currently, my MMF5 works well near my preamp. However, I like the sound of my garage-sale-bargin Thorens TD160 much better and want to replace the MMF5. But if placed where the MMF5 is the TD160 is highly sensitive to vibration. The MMF5 currently sits on a 2" maple shelf which rests on Vibrapods on top of a wooden cabinet which sets on a carpeted suspended wooden floor. So, I'd like to move it to a very stable location nearby; or, isolate it better in its current location. If I relocate it to the more vibration-free location, however, I would need a 15 foot interconnect between the TT and preamp. Is that too long a distance for a TT interconnect? Will that long a cable degrade the sound significantly? Any suggestions for isolating it better in its current location.
Also, I'd like recommendations on good TT interconnects and would like to keep the cost low.
Thanks for any suggestions and comments.
Ag insider logo xs@2xjgiacalo
I needed to set my TT some distance from my preamp, and guess I was too dumb to think to ask this question. Instead I simply used 3m IC's connected to the TT connector (an MMF5)using gold RCA f-f connectors from Parts Express. So I'm actually running about 4M IC's, and it seems to be working very nicely. It's dead quiet, and resolution hasn't been disappointing.

Will it hurt to try it out?
Bdgregory,

I'll try your solution first. Sometimes it's best to try the simplest solution first and see how it works. I've nothing to lose. I'll let you know how it works out in a few weeks as soon as I get my TT back from the tech who is replacing the hard-wired cable with outpput jacks.

And, Dan_ed,
You suggestion sounds like the most practical if the long ICs do not work out. An elegant solution and maybe not too costly if I get a used phono preamp like Black Cube. Although I hate not using the phono section of my Mac C2200.

Thanks for ther suggestions.

Joe
If your Mac pre has balanced phono inputs, you can get a balancing transformer from Jensen or maybe even use an ARC BL-1 to convert the single ended phono output to balanced. Then you can run longer cables without so much signal loss.
Much depends on the type of cartridge you are using and its interface with the IC's. As I recall from long ago before I started using MC cartridges, the MM cartridge output has to be matched to the resistance factor of your phono cable. Too long or too short and your sound will be too bright or rolled off. This is not as critical for MC cartridges which are not as sensitive to resistance in the IC's.
Newbee, I believe it's capacitance that affects MM carts. And yes, a long cable run would definitely present a problem for a MM cart. Good IC's even long ones don't present a resistance issue. My 24 ft Maestro IC is only 0.6 Ohm.