VPI Scoutmaster or Nottingham Space Deck...?

Hey guys, I need some advice from some seasoned vinyl junkies out there!

I'm getting back into vinyl, and have it narrowed down to these two fine tables.

Is there much of a difference, sonically, between them?
Plus's / minus's of ea.?

Thanks to any & all.
denf
I heard a Spacedeck and Hyperspace this week and was disappointed with both. I thought they were quite gray sounding and didn't do a great job of extracting information - instruments tended to blend together and imaging was quite smeary.

That being said, I preferred it with the Ace-Space arm to the fully-modded Origin Live - more refined.

I would recommend you to definitely audition before buying (because opinions on NA tend to be quite polarised) and also listen to the Michell Gyrodec which sounds quite different to the NA tables.

However, for the same money as the Space Deck you could have a Teres model 150 which will be much less colored and will help you hear more information from your vinyl.
I had a spacedeck/spacearm and liked the sound, but be warned that the instructions for set up are the worst I've ever seen & to me the design of the arm was cheesy and made tweaking a real pain in the butt.
A spacedeck with a quality arm from a different manufacturer (Rega?) I think is a good option.
Haven't played with the scoutmaster, but assuming that the jmw 9 is similar to my jmw 10, it is an easy system to live with. Also you get a real manual & good customer support.
Part of analog is finding the sound you want and the other part is finding stuff that is not a pain in the arse to live with when it comes time for set up and tuning. IMHO.
I agree that the "instructions" provide with the NA tables are minimalist, at best. However, they are easy to set up and, once set up, require little, if any, tweaking. I find their build quality to be better than VPI’s and most other tables, for that matter.

I wholly disagree with Red's characterization of the Spacedeck. Far from gray, it is a lively table that extracts a lot of detail and is anything but smeary due to its very good speed stability. I am not sure where the "polarizing" views enter the picture, because nearly every review, or comment on these boards, that I’ve read have been complementary, many effusively so. The Spacearm is a very good arm with the Spacedeck, and probably the best, unless you spend A LOT more money. I had an OL Illustrious on one and it took going that far up the OL chain to best the Spacearm. The newer Ace arm is improved further and, while the original carbon-fiber arm had stabilizer arms to accommodate some stiffer compliance cartridges, the Ace is even better in this regard. As to comparisons to the Teres 150 and 160, I have participated in fairly extensive auditions with these tables included (using two of the same arms/several of the same carts/and the same components) and the Spacedeck proved the unanimous choice over the two Teres decks – the two being less robust and looser in the bottom, less extended on top, slightly inferior in the midrange, and overall less “lively”. Finding a Spacedeck on the used market renders the price comparison moot and elevates the Spacedeck to an even better value. Going up to the 200-series Teres tables, in comparison to the Spacedeck, is a different story, lest any Teres lovers jump on me for “dissing” a Teres. I happen to like some of their other model very much.

I have a close listening friend who owns the Scoutmaster. As others have said, it and the Spacedeck have a different sound. I prefer the NA sound, because I fell it is far more neutral. However, if upgrading without replacement and more accessible technical support is important, the VPI might meet your needs.
Jeff Jones writes "A spacedeck with a quality arm from a different manufacturer (Rega?"
Rega? Any Rega arm is a huge step down from the Ace Space arm.
A serious analog discussion cannot include Rega tonearms.
If setup instructions, informative literature and customer support are of any importance to you, stay clear of the Nottingham. Their U.S. distributor is in my opinion the worst!!