Best Phono Pre for Teres

Well after reading and listening I finally bought the Teres
340. Triplaner arm and ZYX UNIverse cart.- What do you guys rec. for a pre- I was thinking of the Lamm, Audio Research ref.,or whatever else you guys can recommend- I am using a all tube system- thanks,gary
bebop86
Don't choose the Lamm phono stage unless they've changed the design. The one I used last year had inadequate gain for a LOMC like the UNIverse. In addition, the Lamm's input impedance was fixed at a rather weird forty-something ohms. That's too low for a ZYX, and for many other MC's too. The Lamm seems to have been designed for a fairly narrow, and non-typical, set of MC's.

I happen to enjoy the combination of an all tube, MM phono stage + high quality stepup transformers with infinitely adjustable loading, like those from Bent Audio. This lets me easily dial in the precise impedance that each cartridge needs to perform at its best. Since you favor tubes this is one route you might consider.

The other route is an all-tube high gain stage like the Audio Research Ref. and others like Aesthetix or Manley. I haven't heard them so I can't offer any comparisons.
I am running a ZYX Airy 3S through an Audio Research Ref. phono and am very happy. I have it loaded at 100ohms, which seems to work well in my system. I have not compared to any others though.

Chris
Dear Gary: Stay away from Step-up transformers. All of them ( does not matters price, technology or design. ) do a heavy degradation to the critical signal that comes from your beloved analog rig.

Which your budget?. In the midtime take a look to: www.whestaudio.co.uk

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Gary,
Great move getting the 340, UNIverse and Tri-planar. I have the 340, UNIverse and Graham 2.2 and I am extremely happy with the Supratek Grange.
The newer circuit designs are teriffic and I would highly recommend the new Grange or Cortese. The phono stage is superb, you just need to get some great NOS 6922's and a couple of other NOS tubes and you should be in 7th heaven.
It is a good wait for the Supratek to be built but the wait is well worth it. Read the giant thread "Pre-amp deal of the century:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1016931418&openmine&zzCello&4&5#Cello

Rgds,
Larry